The Tiera Chulla Hotel. AKA, The Tarantula. A resident hotel off the side of a dusty desert road.
Living here is Echo Johnson. An oddball freelance tattoo artist, and general mellow kind of guy. Echo has a plethora of stories about the other off-kilter residents of the hotel. Like struggling sci-fi writer Lucas, Fat Best Friend Booty and tough-as-nails single mom, Bess.
Echo shares these stories with various passersby, tattoo recipients, or anyone willing to listen. Whether these stories have a point is up to the listener. But for Echo, it's just another day at the Tarantula.
The entire first season is available on TBS.Com
Cancelled after 1 season.
The show provides examples of the following tropes:
- All Bikers Are Hells Angels: The Shitmen are an over the top parody of outlaw motorcycle gangs.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Echo is a bit of an odd guy. But his sick tattooing skills are without debate.
- Comfort Food: For Echo, it's the cheap macaroni salad from a local Greasy Spoon. As he explains to Booty, he was in alcoholic pit of nihilism after his divorce. And the salad always made his day just a tiny bit better. After his Bungled Suicide, it seems to be Booty's now too.
- Cool Car: Starman, Lucas' vintage convertible. Getting a ride in it is considered quite a treat.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Echo has been through the rough stuff. Homelessness, divorce and losing his infant daughter to cystic fibrosis.
- Drowning My Sorrows: When Seesaw's actual owner takes him back in the season 1 finale, Echo goes on a complete bender.
- Giftedly Bad: From what little we see of his writing, it's fairly obvious Lucas is this.
- Love at First Sight: As revealed in "Macaroni Salad", this is what brought Booty to the Tarantula. Naturally, it goes poorly.
- Mushroom Samba: When Echo and Booty go looking for gigantic, trippy dream inducing mushrooms, they go on a heck of a trip when they touch it. And turns out the entire episode is a latent samba, with Echo telling this story to his dog while he draws on him with lipstick.
- Team Mom: Bess frequently occupies this role, in her own abrasive, tough-talking way.
- Wretched Hive: Weird River. A shantytown in a nearby river culvert, populated by a plethora of homeless dregs and criminals.