Space Chimps is a 2008 All-CGI Cartoon movie about astronaut chimpanzees sent on a mission to outer space. It was produced by Vanguard Animation and distributed by 20th Century Fox.
There's a sequel titled Space Chimps 2: Zartog Strikes Back.
- Actor Allusion: Ham III is basically Rod (from Hot Rod) as a chimp - both are played by Andy Samberg.
- And I Must Scream: The "freezing" liquid will instantly solidify anyone who comes into contact with it, effectively turning them into works of art.
- Alien Sky: Malgor has three suns, which give the planet only a five second long nighttime.
- Aliens Speaking English: More like aliens speaking animal talk.
- Zartog seems to understand the English the probe bleats out, though he may just be responding to the pictures....
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal: The chimps, even in their space suits.
- Chekhov's Skill: Ham III's time in the circus has inadvertently prepared him for the space mission.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ham and Luna.
- Disaster Dominoes: Done epically with NASA space rockets.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Kilowatt
- Inexplicable Language Fluency: The aliens and chimps understand each other, despite that the chimps have just arrived on their planet.
- Intelligent Primate: The chimps can't be understood by humans, but they're smart enough to know how to pilot a rocket ship.
- Lame Pun Reaction: Titan seems to like using 'chimp' puns, and it's even lampshaded by Ham.Ham: You're not gonna do that the whole way, are you?Titan: What?Ham: Use 'chimp' to replace real phrases?
- Large Ham - Ham III
- Literal Metaphor: When Ham and Luna wind up in some alien quicksand.Ham: You're sinking pretty low there.Luna: Yeah, well you deserve it.Ham: No, you're literally going pretty low, we are actually sinking.
- Never Trust a Trailer - The trailer is a bit ambiguous about the plot but it really shows nothing about the movie. It seems more like a couple of astronaut chimp friends going on a mission, and the humans seem to be aware of their behavior.
- Refusal of the Call: Ham never wants to go into space and tries as hard as he can to get out of it.
- Sound Off:Titan: I am Titan, I am strong!Ham: No one wants to sing along!
- The Stinger: Zartog is turned into a lawn ornament.
- Title Drop: As the trio are finally launched into space.Luna: We are now officially Space Chimps!
- Translation Convention: Whenever the perspective switches to a human, the chimps can only be heard making realistic chimp noises.
- Two Words: Added Emphasis: "Two chimps, two words: animal testing."