Simsala Grimm is a 1999 German cartoon, following the adventures of two creatures: Yoyo and Doc Croc, who transport themselves to fairy tales on a magic book, speak with fairy tale characters, and give them advice.
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Both Yoyo and Doc Croc qualify in their own ways: Yoyo because of his cheerful and childlike attitude and Doc Croc because of his stutter and social awkwardness
- Artifact Title: The third season let go of doing only Grimm fairy tales.
- Badass Adorable: Yoyo is more than happy to stare down wild pigs and wolves. He can also be a case of Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass.
- Break the Cutie: Yoyo when he breaks down in tears in the "Singing Soaring Lark" episode.
- Cartoon Creature: It's unclear just what kind of animal Yoyo is. He looks like a tailless fox mixed with a weasel. In the first two seasons, he doesn't have ears, yet he has weasel-like ears in the third season.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yoyo. Doc Croc has his moments, but Yoyo is probably the most prominent snarker in the show.
- Happy Harlequin Hat: Yoyo, though his hat is pure red and combined with a poncho-like garment.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Yoyo. As cocky and sarcastic and as hot-blooded as he is, he's a very caring and kind-hearted character.
- Nice Hat: Both Yoyo and Doc Croc are known for their hats.
- Speech Impediment: Doc Croc has a stutter.
- Taken for Granite: In "Rapunzel", it's revealed that the witch turned Rapunzel's birth parents into stalagmites.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Yoyo and Doc Croc attempt this on King Thrushbeard when he rides a horse and spooks it into breaking Constance's pots.
- Wicked Witch: Plenty of them. After all, the show is based off Grimm fairy tales. Often, they are Wicked Stepmothers, as well.