Simsala Grimm is a 1999-2000 German cartoon, following the adventures of two creatures: Yoyo and Doc Croc, who transport themselves to fairy tales on a magic book that takes them to one of various stories each episode. Once there, the duo try giving advice to the main character of the story and help them get to their happily ever after.
In 2010 the series was continued with 26 new episodes, which took another fairy tales aside from The Grimm Brothers tales.
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Artifact Title: The third season let go of doing only Grimm fairy tales.
- Badass Adorable: Yoyo is more than happy to stare down wild pigs and wolves. He can also be a case of Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass.
- Break the Cutie: Yoyo when he breaks down in tears in the "Singing Soaring Lark" episode.
- Cartoon Creature: It's unclear just what kind of animal Yoyo is. He looks like a tailless fox mixed with a weasel. In the first two seasons, he doesn't have ears, yet he has weasel-like ears in the third season.
- Deadpan Snarker: Yoyo. Doc Croc has his moments, but Yoyo is probably the most prominent snarker in the show.
- Dub-Induced Plot Hole: Doc Croc says he is a virtuoso, but he never is seen playing any musical instrument. This wasn't the case in the original German version, because he is instead a private learner.
- Happy Harlequin Hat: Yoyo, though his hat is pure red and combined with a poncho-like garment.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Yoyo. As cocky and sarcastic and as hot-blooded as he is, he's a very caring and kind-hearted character.
- Keet: Yoyo because of his cheerful and childlike attitude.
- Large Ham: Several villains on the show, mostly the Wicked Witchstyle ones.
- Musical Exposition: During the first two seasons of the show, there was a trio of birds that would show up in almost every episode, either explaining to Yoyo and Doc Croc or just the audience what is happening or what to do next.
- Nervous Wreck: Doc Croc because of his stutter and social awkwardness.
- Nice Hat: Both Yoyo and Doc Croc are known for their hats.
- Rich Bitch: Constance from the "King Thrushbeard" episode is a spoiled, arrogant and conceited princess.
- Smooch of Victory: Little Red Riding Hood twice gives one to Yoyo and Doc Croc for saving her and her grandmother from the Wolf's stomach.
- Speech Impediment: Doc Croc has a stutter.
- Taken for Granite: In "Rapunzel", it's revealed that the witch turned Rapunzel's birth parents into stalagmites.
- Wicked Witch: Plenty of them. After all, the show is based off Grimm fairy tales. Often, they are Wicked Stepmothers, as well.