The film will follow the Mystery Inc. gang as we see how they first met. Now, after all those years, the gang has to solve new mysteries: one based on the ghost dog Cerberus, and another based on Scooby's own purpose.
Aside from Frank Welker, who has voiced Scooby-Doo since 2002, the film also has an entirely new cast at the helm, with Zac Efron (Fred), Gina Rodriguez (Velma), Will Forte (Shaggy) and Amanda Seyfried (Daphne). Other voices include Tracy Morgan as Captain Caveman, Ken Jeong as Dyno-Mutt, Kiersey Clemons as Dee Dee Sykes, Mark Wahlberg as the Blue Falcon, and Jason Isaacs as Dick Dastardly.
Previews: Trailer 1.
SCOOB! contains examples of:
- Adorable Evil Minions: A few Mecha-Mooks that answer Fred when he says "Shaggy & Scooby were taken?!" look like small children.
- Airborne Aircraft Carrier: If the teaser is anything to go by, the film's version of the Mean Machine fits this to a T.
- Crossover: Scoob! will be this between multiple Hanna-Barbera franchises as a part of their own Shared Universe. So far, Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder and Wacky Races have been confirmed.
- Deadpan Snarker: Daphne asks whether Scooby & Shaggy were kidnapped by her father when Velma finds a hair containing mustache oil and cheap aftershave.
- Exactly What I Meant To Say: This bit after Scooby and Shaggy were abducted.Shaggy: Look around man! The clean modern aesthetic, the cool blue color palette! We're in....
Scooby and Shaggy: IKEA!/The Falcon Fury!
Shaggy: Did you say IKEA?
Scooby: Nope, I said "Falcon Fury." Just like you.
- In a World...: Parodied by Scooby in the teaser.Scooby: In a world destroyed by evil...discover the epic origin story...of the greatest team of heroes...in the history of mystery!
- Licked by the Dog: When Shaggy first gives Scooby his collar, Scooby licks Shaggy while they hug. When Shaggy does so in return, Scooby tells him to never do that again.
- Line-of-Sight Name: As shown by the teaser, when pushed by a dog-catcher, Shaggy named Scooby after a nearby box of Scooby Snacks.
- Never Trust a Trailer: The first trailer leaves out the fact that it's a crossover with other Hanna-Barbera franchises, aside from vaguely hinting at it with a cameo from the Mean Machine and Shaggy being hinted to be a fan of the Blue Falcon, things that people unfamiliar with their cartoons outside of Scooby-Doo wouldn't catch immediately.
- Nutritional Nightmare: As a Freeze-Frame Bonus, Shaggy's box of Scooby Snacks labels the treats as "high fructose flavor" and despite being bite-sized are apparently 850 calories, 37.5 grams of saturated fat, 1,000 milligrams of sodium, and 8,000 grams of sugar each. Not per serving, each. Might just be due to Rule of Funny.
- Origin Story: The teaser trailer shows how Scooby, Shaggy and the rest of the Mystery Inc. first met.
- Shout-Out: There's already plenty of them from the teaser alone.
- Kid Daphne dresses up as Wonder Woman for Halloween, and Kid Shaggy and Puppy Scooby dress as Blue Falcon & Dynomutt, respectively.
- Peebles Pet Shop is visible in the first shot with the Mystery Machine.
- Next to it is a bowling alley called Takamoto Bowl, named after longtime Hanna-Barbera producer and designer of Scooby-Doo himself, Iwao Takamoto.
- Speech-Impaired Animal: Averted this time. Much like in Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Scooby speaks proper English with nary an R word to be heard.
- Tag Line: "His epic tail begins."
- Tastes Like Friendship: Here, Scooby was a stray puppy until he wandered onto Shaggy having a picnic on the beach. Shaggy offered him half of his sandwich then claimed Scooby was his dog upon being confronted by a dog-catcher.
- Tractor Beam: Scooby and Shaggy narrowly escape a small army of drones by being uplifted with one of these.