The series follows the adventures of 6-year-old Ridley Jones, who resides in a museum of natural history with her mother and grandmother. At night when the museum closes, Ridley uses a magic compass to bring the exhibits to life, and they go on wild adventures to protect the museum and keep it going strong.
The series' six-episode first season premiered July 13, 2021. The first two episodes were released to the Netflix Jr. channel on YouTube on the 8th and 25th of June in the same year. The five-episode second season premiered November 3rd. The four-episode third season premiered February 15th, 2022. The five-episode fourth season premiered August 24th, 2022.
The series provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Fred the bison has a masculine name but a feminine voice and appearance. Fred is confirmed to be non-binary in the first episode, and they're also the first non-binary character in a Preschool Show.
- Animating Artifact: The Jones' magic compass, which makes the museum exhibits come to life. The Heart of the Museum performs a similar function.
- Bait-and-Switch: In "My Dinner with Ismat," it seems at first that Ismat is ashamed of having two dads, when actually she's ashamed of her royal life and being pampered all the time.
- The Big Guy: Dante, being a dinosaur, is the tallest of the main group.
- Disappeared Dad: Ridley's father is not yet seen nor mentioned, same thing with her grandfather.
- Fat and Skinny: Ismat's dads Aten and Kosy, respectively.
- Halloween Episode: "All Ismat's Eve."
- Has Two Mommies: Ismat has two dads.
- "I Am" Song: "The Eyes of the Museum" for Ridley and her exhibit friends in "Some Like It Hot" as they show their duty to watch and protect the museum.
- I Am Very British: Dudley the dodo bird speaks with a British accent.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: As much as she enjoys being treated like royalty, Ismat just wants to be normal. Her dads eventually admit they were tired acting all strict and traditional all the time.
- "I Want" Song: Ridley has "I'm Ready" from the first episode. She vows she's ready to protect the museum with her mother and wants it to happen.
- Jerkass: Mr. Peabody is mean, grumpy, and very determined to shut down the museum. He does not care what happens to the Jones family. This is why Ridley must hide the museum's magic at all costs.
- One-Episode Fear: Peaches' fear of heights in "Peaches, We Have a Problem," which she conquers by the end of the episode.
- Overly-Long Name: Ismat's full name is Queen Ismat Chione Jomana Edrice Khepri the Great...est.
- Secret Identity: Ridley must keep the museum's magic a secret from most others, especially the grumpy curator Mr. Peabody and security guard Lonnie.
- Token Human: Ismat is the only member of Ridley's Eye Team who's human. There's also the female knight.
- Two Shorts: The series' format.
- Younger than They Look: Ridley is 6, but she looks like she's 8-10. She must have had a growth spurt.