- "The King Of All Shows!"
Produced 2005, aired in U.S. on 7/29/05
Production order: 24 (2-4)
When Vlad Masters/Vlad Plasmius, Danny's Arch-Enemy, attempts to steal the Crown of Fire and Ring of Rage of the ghost king, Pariah Dark, he accidentally wakes him up in the process. The king's arrival sends all the Ghost Zone's residents fleeing to Earth, and Vlad's theft of the Ring of Rage sends Pariah Dark's armies to fetch it. In the middle of all this, Danny has to deal with his new friendship with rival ghost hunter Valerie Gray and Vlad hiding out at his parents' house. It falls on Danny to defeat the ghost king, keep his town safe, and stay one step ahead of Vlad's manipulations.
This movie has examples of:
- 0% Approval Rating: Living up to his name, nobody wants the ghost king Pariah Dark around. Even Fright Knight, who acts as The Dragon, clearly only serves him out of fear despite Pariah releasing him.
- An Aesop: When you are given power, it is important to use it responsibly. The more you use it irresponsibly, the more it can hurt you and other people.
- Big Bad: Pariah Dark.
- Big Damn Movie: The Made-for-TV Movie sees a villain who threatens the Ghost Zone and the entire planet.
- Call-Back: Maddie is still distrusting and hateful towards Vlad after the events of "Maternal Instinct".
- The Cameo: Many ghosts, including minor ones, can be seen escaping from the Ghost Zone near the beginning of the episode.
- Though Spectra, Bertrand, Desiree, Johnny 13 and Shadow don't appear with the other main ghosts later on, we can see them attacking Danny here.
- The Ectopusses.
- The Vultures who work for Vlad.
- The Behemoth guarding the Skeleton Key.
- The Ghost Dog.
- The Ghost Eel from "Fright Night".
- The Ghost Squid and many of the other ghosts who can be seen escaping at the beginning of "13".
- The Postman Ghost who lures Maddie and Danny to Vlad in "Maternal Instinct".
- Cast from Hit Points: How the mech suit works. It has some great power to it but saps the user's life force. Danny has to resort to using it in order to beat and seal Pariah back into the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep.
- Character Development: During the climatic battle, Pariah taunts that all that power Danny's trying to wield is a burden. After seeing first-hand how his irresponsibility has put everyone in danger, Danny responds "The burden isn't in the power, the burden is how you use it, and lately, I've been using it poorly."
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Pariah Dark delivers one to Vlad at the beginning, and another one to both Danny and Vlad later on.
- Dating Catwoman: Hinted at towards Danny and Valerie, though it isn't really explored until a later episode.
- Didn't Think This Through: When Vlad unlocked Pariah Dark’s sarcophagus so he can take the Crown of Fire, it never occurred that the Ghost King, the most powerful ghost in the Ghost Zone, would wake from his sleep first and wouldn’t allow that. Not to mention that by accidentally releasing Pariah, he unleashed a dangerous and powerful threat on both worlds.
- Dramatic Unmask: Played for Laughs, as Danny does this to Valerie in front of her dad to distract her while he takes the exo suit. Although it gets more dramatic when her dad bans her from ghost fighting.
- Foreshadowing: In one scene, Vlad is shown playing chess against Jack; Vlad has two pawns on his side of the board, while Jack has a knight and a king. Vlad would later successfully use Danny and Valerie to bring the Fright Knight over to his side and take down Pariah Dark, which he refers to as "us[ing] two fourteen-year-old pawns to turn a knight and topple a king."
- Generic Doomsday Villain: Pariah Dark. He's an evil ghost out to rule the Ghost Zone and the human world, and that is about all there is to him. He stands out more for his power than his personality. Thankfully the episode features all of the show's other villains.
- Ghost Invasion: The arrival of ghost king Pariah Dark causes all the ghosts in the Ghost Zone to flee to Earth. The Ghost King's armies also invade.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: The other ghosts, who initially laugh off Danny's attempt to get their help, end up showing up to distract Pariah Dark's ghost army while Danny deals with Pariah himself.
- Ironically, it's Sam and Tucker who wind up bringing them to him when he initially refused their help.
- Internal Reveal: Valerie's dad finds out she's been hunting ghosts.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Thanks to Vlad releasing the Ghost King, Danny finally becomes a hero in the eyes of most of the public, due to saving Amity Park when the town was trapped in the Ghost Zone.
- "Not So Different" Remark: Vlad continues invoking this to Danny when the latter figures out that Vlad is responsible for unleashing Pariah onto the world. Danny consistently denies this, given everything Vlad's done to his hometown, while Vlad hypocritically keeps pointing out the contrary.
- Pyrrhic Victory: Danny considers his win against Pariah to be this. While his ghostly persona has a better public image, the Fenton Ecto-Skeleton disappeared and Vlad managed to make himself look good while also making some sort of deal with the Fright Knight he wasn't privy to. Sam and Tucker adamantly respond that a win is still a win, and he should just relax.
- Series Continuity Error: Technus shows up in a couple of group shots despite still being trapped in a computer game at this point in time.
- Ship Tease: Sam is clearly jealous of Valerie, while Valerie shows interest towards Danny at the end.
- Shoot the Television: After Danny exposes Valerie's ghostfighting to her father, causing her animosity to deepen, she blasts her television upon seeing a news report that Danny is starting to be seen as a hero to the town.Valerie: (Standing in front of the smoking television) That deepens on who you're asking.
Mr. Grey: (Offscreen) Valerie! Was that the ecto-gun?!
Valerie: (Hiding the weapon behind her back) No!
- We Win, Because You Didn't: Invoked by Danny during his fight with Pariah:Danny: I don't have to win. (Blasts the wall revealing the Sarcophagus of Forever Sleep) I just have to make sure that you lose!
- Wham Episode: Danny starts a friendship with Valerie that's clearly headed in a romantic direction, Vlad reveals himself to Valerie as her benefactor and starts using her as a pawn, Maddie forgives Vlad (for the moment), Vlad steals the Crown of Fire and the Ecto-Skeleton, Valerie's dad learns her secret identity, and Danny Phantom's Hero with Bad Publicity status (as well as his humiliating nickname, Inviso-Bill) is lifted, for the most part.
- What Happened to the Mouse?:
- The Ghost Zone probe just disappears from the plot all together. It's almost like something that was left in the script and nobody bothered to remove it.
- It's also unknown what happened to the Ring of Rage, given it was a key part in the movie that the Ghost King and the Fright Knight were after. Plausibly, the ring remained in Pariah's hand when Danny shoved him back into his sarcophagus and Vlad failed to take it before locking the Ghost King up himself, despite now having the Crown of Fire.
- When Dimensions Collide: Pariah pulls Amity Park into the Ghost Zone after Danny pulls out the Fright Knight's sword. Thankfully, Pariah's defeat restored Amity Park back to the human world.
- The Worf Effect: How dangerous is Pariah Dark? Vlad Plasmius is easily beaten to demonstrate.