Spike the bulldog is trying to sleep, but he keeps getting disturbed by the noise of Tom and Jerry's antics, especially when Tom is slamming a pan on the floor in an attempt to squash Jerry or firing a gun as Jerry runs away. Eventually Spike has enough, grabbing Tom by the scruff of the neck and threatening in no uncertain terms to give Tom a beatdown if Tom disturbs his sleep again. Unfortunately for Tom, Jerry hears this, and sets out to wake Spike up.
- Banging Pots and Pans: One of Jerry's attempts to wake Spike up.
- Dish Dash: After Jerry finds a bunch of light bulbs on the mantel, he starts throwing them down, leaving Tom to run around and try and catch them lest they wake up Spike.
- Don't Wake the Sleeper: Tom has to keep Jerry from waking up Spike, or Spike will skin him alive if he does.
- Excited Show Title!: Quiet, Please!
- Finger in a Barrel: Tom does this when Jerry fires a shotgun at him, and is left with two red, throbbing fingers.
- Fur Is Clothing: After the dynamite goes off under Spike's pillow, Spike is shown rolling up the fur on his arm like a sleeve, revealing a Navy tattoo.
- Harmless Electrocution: Jerry sticks Tom's tail in the light socket, lighting up all the bulbs Tom is carrying. Tom's okay, though.
- Jaw Drop: Jerry when he finds out Tom has given Spike some knock-out drops.
- Nervous Wreck: Spike is this, as he tells Tom when the latter wakes him, illustrating his point by pulling on his own tongue, which, in cartoon fashion, causes his ears to bang together.
- Oh, Crap!: Tom, when he fell on Spike and the shattering bulbs starts waking him up. Jerry also has this reaction when he learns that Spike has been given knock-out drops.
- Pie in the Face: Jerry gives Tom one when he cries "Let me have it!"
- Schmuck Bait: Upon reading Jerry's 'will' saying he left him a custard pie, Tom eagerly cries out, "Let me have it!" SPLUT!
- Suddenly Voiced: A rare example, at least rare in the original MGM run, of Tom speaking. He sings lullabies to Spike and says "Let me have it" when Jerry wills him a custard pie.
- Toon Physics: Midway in the air Tom realizes he's about to crash onto a table of wine glasses, so he stops falling and pushes the table out of the way replacing it with a soft cushion.
- Wingding Eyes: Tom pulls Spike's eyelid after giving him the knockout drugs, and sees that Spike's eye says "OUT COLD". Later, after Jerry tries to wake Spike up by jamming a needle at his butt, he lifts the lid and it reads "STILL OUT COLD".