Eleven-year-old Max Green used to be the most popular kid in the pumpkin-loving Cucurtown, until his parents adopted two supposedly orphaned siblings, Teresa and Goliath. Not only they steal Max's spotlight from his parents and classmates, he discovers that they are actually plant-like creatures named Loom and Ran from an alien race called Kemii. Their mission is to lay the groundwork for an Alien Invasion to eventually Take Over the World and enslave humanity.
Unfortunately, most citizens of Cucurtown are oblivious to all of this, and Max's attempts to prove that his adopted siblings are aliens lead to him losing all his remaining reputation, as people think he is just being jealous. Now it falls to Max and his small team of believers to fight Teresa and Goliath in a battle of wits to protect their town from the aliens.
Pumpkin Reports is a Spanish-Italian-Malaysian All-CGI Cartoon created by Sascha Paladino. Produced by Motion Pictures, Young Jump Sample, and ForFun Media Network, it aired from October 31, 2015 to April 23, 2016 on Clan TVE in Spain. In the US, the series aired on the English-language sister channel of V-me, Primo TV on January 16, 2017.
Some humans waste their time trying to list all the narrative conventions in a fictional story, such as:
- Adults Are Useless: All adults in Cucurtown, with the exception of Simon.
- Alien Among Us: Teresa and Goliath.
- All There in the Manual: Some backstory elements can only be learned on the official website. However, at least some information contradicts the actual show (for example, how Teresa found names for herself and Goliath), so their canonicity is dubious.
- Bumbling Sidekick: Goliath to Teresa. In "Saving Goliath" this trope gets deconstructed though: Teresa gets so tired of her sidekick's incompetence that she plans on replacing him for a new one, and the episode's plot resolves around Max and his friends coming up with schemes to convince Teresa that Goliath is still useful, fearing that any potential replacement for Goliath would be much harder to defeat.
- Caring Gardener: The people of Cucurtown are proud of their agriculture, which makes the town a perfect target for an invasion of Plant Aliens.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Simon serves as this for the team. Unfortunately, most of his inventions have at least one major flaw.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Since Max can't prove that his adoptive siblings are aliens, he is forced to share many family activities with them, such as going to the movies together.
- Happily Adopted: Sort of. Victor and Laura treat their adopted children as good as their biological son, if not better. Teresa and Goliath are just happy to use their new family to infiltrate human society.
- Human Disguise: Teresa and Goliath's human-like appearances are essentially costumes. We never see their true forms, but Max does in the pilot episode, and is horrified.
- It's Always Spring: Cucurtown seems to have only one season, as seen in the Halloween and Chistmas Episodes (though the heroes produce an artificial snowfall for Christmas). This might be the reason why this town specializes in gardening and vegetables.
- Once an Episode: Almost every episode ends with Teresa sending a report to the Kemii mothership, in which she describes her latest experience with humans and asks the Kemii to invade soon.
- Only Sane Man: Both Max and Teresa often become this for their respective sides of the conflict.
- Origins Episode: "Progress Report" focuses on Teresa recounting her and Goliath's first days on Earth.
- Plant Aliens: The Kemii.
- Police Are Useless: Cucurtown seems to have only two police officers, who are just as Genre Blind as the rest of the town.
- Sibling Rivalry: Max's conflict with Teresa and Goliath looks like this to their parents, but it is actually a conflict between humans and aliens.
- Status Quo Is God: Both human and aliens have their small victories, but neither side ever actually defeats the other.
- The Stinger: Every episode has one, usually focusing on the antics inside the Kemii mothership.
- Superstition Episode: Played with. In "Eyes Closed Friday", Teresa discovers the concept of superstition, unknown to the Kemii, and tries to use it in her favor by creating new superstitions, in which the townsfolk of Cucurtown start believing when, with the help of Goliath, she makes the superstitions come true. This is part of an elaborate plan for the Kemii to deliver Teresa a giant robot without being noticed, so she manipulates the Cucurtown citizens into closing their eyes for an entire hour, when the robot is due to be delivered.
- The Unintelligible: Goliath cannot speak in any human language, meaning only Teresa can understand him.
- Villain with Good Publicity: Teresa and Goliath are adored by the townspeople, which means that the heroes can only rely on themselves.
- Weirdness Censor: Even when the citizens actually notice something unnatural, they always brush it off.
- Word Salad Title: It actually refers to the reports Teresa sends using an alien device, which looks like a pumpkin.