Pinky Dinky Doo
Never at a loss for words she pulls out of the blue...
Pinky Dinky Doo"
Pinky is a seven-year-old girl who lives in Great Big City with her parents, her four-year-old little brother, Tyler, and their pet, Mr. Guinea Pig. When a problem arises, Pinky dances her way to a cardboard box called her Story Box with Tyler and Mr. Guinea Pig and uses a piece of chalk and her imagination to tell a story. In the second season, Pinky uses the Story Pad, a notebook in which Pinky draws pictures for her newer made-up stories, whenever the Story Box is not available. After Pinky tells her story and solves the problem of the day, kids are invited to play an interactive game on the Cheese Sandwich toy, where they review details about the story.
This series was created by Jim Jinkins, who originally made up Pinky's adventures as bed-time tales for his children, and also created Doug and PB&J Otter. The Executive Producers are Jinkins and David Campbell. It is a production of Children's Television Workshop, Cartoon Pizza, Keyframe Digital Prod. Inc, and Abrams Gentile Entertainment. According to Nick Jr., Pinky Dinky Doo is the networks second series (first original series) dedicated to enhancing early literacy.
In 2016, it was rerun on HBO Family.
Pinky Dinky Doo provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Bobby Boom.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: Mr. Guinea Pig is blue.
- An Aesop: Sometimes. For example, the moral of "Stinky Pinky Doo" is "treat others the way you want to be treated".
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Tyler comes off as this to Pinky at times.
- Art Evolution: In the second and final season, the characters' skin-tones are much lighter and the animation has a lot of Flash-like qualities to it.
- Catch-Phrase: Lots!
- "Yessarooni Positooni!"
- "Now THAT'S something you don't see every day."
- "I love to make up stories. I'll bet you can make up a story too."
- There are also Catch Phrases in the form of a song.
- "If I have a problem and don't know which way to go, I think and think and think and think and suddenly I know!"
- Charlie Brown Baldness: Pinky's dad is bald with a few strands of hair on his head.
- Cool Big Sis: Pinky is this to Tyler most of the time.
- Disproportionate Retribution: In "Stinky Pinky Doo", Tyler tries to flush an unseen character named Johnny's favorite cap down the toilet after the latter called his socks stinky.
- Edutainment Show: This show helps viewers increase their vocabularies with its Great Big Fancy Word, which is featured several times during the episode. It also addresses problem-solving skills as well as the basics of narrative storiescharacter, dialogue, plot, details, main idea and sequence of events.
- In each episode, there is also a "Great Big Fancy Word", which varies with each episode, but when somebody is about to say the word, Mr. Guinea Pig will blow a trumpet and then the character says the word.
- Embarrassing First Name: The episode "Pinky and the Grumpy Alligator" had Pinky find a new home for an alligator named Aloysius after he gets made fun of in the sewers for his name, which the others joked about by calling him names like "Suspicious Aloysius" and "Alo-wishy-washy".
- Expository Theme Tune: The theme song explains the premise of the show.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Daffinee and Pinky, as shown in "Stinky Pinky Doo". Daffinee made fun of Pinky's stinky breath before, but when Daffinee ripped her skirt, Pinky gave Daffinee her jacket to tie around her waist so people won't see her underwear. They've been great friends since then.
- Good Parents: Pinky and Tyler's parents are loving and patient.
- Informed Attribute: According to this, Pinky's dad is a cartoonist, but we never see him acting as such in the show itself.
- Inspirationally Disadvantaged: Averted with Bobby, who is in a wheelchair but is treated as an equal.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Daffinee is spoiled and can be rude at times, but she's mostly kind.
- Medium Blending: The show uses a mix of 2D animation and real life images, making it look like a collage, not unlike another show that aired on the same network in the U.K.
- Ms. Imagination: Pinky, who loves making up wacky stories. Her stories always have the solution to the episode's main problem.
- My Nayme Is: That's "Daffinee", not "Daphne".
- Once an Episode: During the made-up story, Pinky must Think Big, at which point her head swells up like a balloon and she comes up with an often wacky solution to the problem while singing. While Pinky usually does the thinking, there are occasional times where Tyler does it, and even Mr. Guinea Pig does it in "Shrinky Pinky".
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Pinky and Tyler, Daffinee and Nicholas.
- Pink Means Feminine: Daffinee wears a pink dress and is girly, but while Pinky has pink hair she openly states to disliking the color
- Polka-Dot Disease: In one of Pinky's stories, she and her friends get the "polka dot pox", a disease where they break out in multicoloured polka dots.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Mr Guinea Pig.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: Pinky, Nicholas, Daffinee, and Bobby in "The Pinkys Rock!". In fact, the episode's main vocabulary word is "procrastinating".
- Rich Bitch: Daffinee can act like this at times.
- Running Gag: Mr. Guinea Pig playing the trumpet whenever the Great Big Fancy Word of the day is mentioned.
- Shaking the Rump: Pinky, Tyler, and Mr. Guinea Pig shake their rears before they go into the Story Box.
- Stage Magician: Nicholas performs magic tricks as "The Great Biscotti".
- Title Theme Tune: Pinky's got a story she wants to share with you... Pinky Dinky Doo. Never at loss for words she pulls out of the blue... Pinky Dinky Doo.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Pinky and Daffinee.
- Unfortunate Names: Daffinee "Toilettte".
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Pinky's hair is pink, though in most of the associated book releases for the show, it was actually yellow. Tyler has blue hair. Nicholas and Bobby have blue hair, and Daffinee has purple hair.
- Youthful Freckles: Pinky and Tyler both have them.