Oswaldo is a Brazilian-Indian animated series co-produced by Brazil's Birdo Studio and India's Symbiosys Entertainment. It is the creation of Pedro Eboli, a Brazilian animator who would later go on to make North American cartoons like Netflix and Teletoon's Cupcake & Dino: General Services and Nelvana and Nickelodeon's Ollie's Pack.
The show's eponymous star is a 12-year-old penguin who was found on the beaches of Barra da Tijuca (a neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro) as a baby and raised by human parents as one of their own. Now infused with the quirks, obsessions, and pop culture knowledge of a typical tween, Oswaldo must navigate through the greatest challenge that any 12-year-old can face — middle school. But even for an excitable little oddball like him, things like that are always harder than they sound, and any problem he faces can and will result in the most unpredictable and bizarre outcomes. But no matter what kind of insanity Oswaldo faces on a normal day, our eccentric protagonist can always count on his parents Feramina and Paulito, as well as his best friends Leia and Tobias, to have his back and always be there for him.
The series debuted on October 11, 2017 on the Brazilian Cartoon Network feed. A second season premiered on June 3, 2019, and a third one arrived on January 6, 2020.
Tropes of the series:
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Oswaldo himself is a pretty eccentric character - an excitable, clumsy, and flat-out weird little guy whose brain is infused with useless pop-culture and is addicted to pizza, video games, and the Internet.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Oswaldo himself is a full representation of this trope, being the quirky star of the show and having been adopted by humans for his sheer adorableness as a chick.
- Happily Adopted: Feramina and Paulito treated Oswaldo as 100% one of their own kind, letting him enjoy all the things a human child would.
- Interspecies Adoption: The title character is a penguin whose adopted parents are a pair of eccentric but loving humans.
- ¡Three Amigos!: Oswaldo, Tobias, and Leia form the series' core friendship.