OOglies is a little Claymation series shown as part of CBBC, the BBC's children's programming block. It's a rapid-fire series of very short skits where objects get Cartoony Eyes, come to life and (usually) get in trouble. Hilarity Ensues. No, really.
Expect lots of silent comedy/classic cartoon tropes.
Provides Examples of
- Amusing Injuries: A good chunk of the humour is derived from Ooglies suffering all sorts of mishaps, usually being Squashed Flat.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Nearly every single object with the signature googly eyes are animate and they all move about.
- Anthropomorphic Food: A lot of Ooglies are edible objects such as fruit.
- Art Initiates Life: A pencil sneaks out of its case, with the case chasing it, only for the pencil to draw something, have it become real and attack the case.
- Banana Peel: Slippery Nana is a living version who ends up breaking objects around them.
- Black Comedy: The "Fruit Bunch and Devious Blender" sketch involves an orange, apple, banana and pear being tricked into checking something out, only for it to be a disguised blender which promptly blends them all into a smoothie.
- Blue/Orange Contrast: The two toothbrushes in the "Duelling Toothbrushes" sketch - the manual brush is orange and the electric one is blue.
- Content Warning: Parodied at the beginning of the show:Attention all humans - the stunts you are about to witness have been performed by trained Ooglies. Under no circumstances should children or silly adults attempt to do any of the actions you see in the programme. No sprouts were hurt during the making of this warning.
- Duct Tape for Everything: The Cherry-Aiders, a group of doctor cherries always solve "injured" Ooglies' predicaments with duct tape, with varying results.
- Harsh Talent Show Judge: A recurring sketch includes an Immoral Reality Show show where the talent show judges consist of a highlighter pen, a pair of scissors, and a calculator, all of whom are none too impressed with the stunts the contestants display for them. They only give them top ten marks when the stunts go wrong and seriously injure the contestants.
- I'm Melting!: One sketch revolves around an ice cube that always ends up melting due to its desire to be in a warmer climate. Crosses over into They Killed Kenny Again due to its nature as a recurring sketch.
- Last-Second Photo Failure: A recurring sketch features a living camera who keeps trying to take photos of a bunch of other Ooglies, only for something to go wrong (mainly something connected to the sketches featuring the other Ooglies in question).
- Pepper Sneeze: One sketch invovles a pepper shaker spraying other Ooglies with pepper, causing them to explosively sneeze.
- Speaking Simlish: Aside from the odd word, all of the Ooglies speak in grunts and gibberish.
- Squashed Flat: Happens very often to food Ooglies.