No Hunting is a 1955 animated short film (six minutes) from Disney, directed by Jack Hannah, starring Donald Duck.
It's almost hunting season, but Donald isn't interested, as he is having a lavish meal in his ornate mansion. The narration observes that Donald lives a much more comfortable life than his pioneer grandfather, whose painting hangs on the wall. Suddenly the spirit of "Pappy" leaps from the wall and possesses Donald. Donald, possessed by his grandfather, goes on a hunting expedition. He isn't the only one, as the woods are soon infested by hordes of incompetent, bumbling hunters in scenes drawn to resemble World War I.
- Art Imitates Art: The narration wonders "What is mother doing?" Then we see Whistler's Mother, but with a duck.
- Art Imitates Life: Pappy comes to life, comes out of his portrait, and takes over Donald.
- Blind Mistake: One scene shows a hunter with a Native American guide who is clearly blind. Both end up walking off a cliff.
- Brick Joke/Call-Back: The short ends by revealing that Pappy has seized the cow that the farmer labeled "COW" and is taking it home.
- The Cameo: Bambi and his mother are among the deer in the forest bothered by the hunters. Bambi's mom sees a river choked with garbage and says "Man is in the forest. Let's dig out."
- Creator Cameo: Jack Hannah provided the voice of the moose who says "Hmm, you're a cute one."
- Familial Body Snatcher: A comic take on this trope, as the spirit of Pappy possesses Donald Duck. Director Jack Hannah explained that this is why Donald doesn't talk in the short after he's possessed.
- It's Raining Men: As this satire of hunting is drawn like war movies, we see hunters parachuting out of a plane paratroop style.
- Lemony Narrator: A Deadpan Snarker narrator describes the action and mocks the idiot hunters throughout.
- Metaphoric Metamorphosis: Donald briefly turns into a roaring lion as the spirit of Pappy takes over.
- Remember the Alamo: Pappy shouts this word-for-word during the hunt.
- Sarcasm Mode: The narrator throughout. He says "Local residents make last minute preparations to welcome the sportsmen." The screen shows one farmer frantically building a fence around his property, while another farmer paints "COW" on the side of his cow.
- Scenery Gorn: The moment the sun rises, the hunters start firing and instantly turn the once lush forest into a desolate wasteland, with even the sun itself shot to pieces.
- Worst News Judgment Ever: "HUNTING SEASON OPENS TOMORROW" is a huge headline.