- Horace: I think there's something wrong. With the yard.
Neon Knome was an 11-minute animated short created by Ben Jones as part of a popularity contest hosted by [adult swim], with the winner being green-lit for a full series. The story focuses on the life of a young man named Horace who, as a child, discovered a small furry creature in a drainpipe and decided to take it home. He named it Alfe and raised it himself along with his twin brother Roba who looks nothing like him at all. One day, Horace finds a gigantic rollerblade sitting smack dab in the middle of the yard and proposes that they get rid of it, as it is a serious violation of their lease. Thus begins their wacky and utterly bizarre adventure through a psychedelic world that appears to have been made entirely with Flash.
Unfortunately, Neon Knome did not win the contest, (having lost to another show called Yappy Broads but the pilot can still be seen in full here), however, it was picked up by Cartoon Network as The Problem Solverz, according to this Adult Swim bumper.
Contains examples of:
- Alternative Calendar: The pilot takes place on Tranuary 69th.
- Call-Back: In the forest scene, Alfe says he thinks he heard a nuclear bomb. In a short off the Paper Rad DVD, Trash Talking,containing the same characters, the plot has them stay in their home to avoid a nuclear bomb
- Captain's Log: Alfe's diary
- Gainax Ending
- King of All Cosmos: The Future Genies.
- Koan: Before enlightenment - rake the leaves, do the dishes. After enlightenment - rake the leaves, do the dishes.
- Madness Mantra: "Horace doesn't like the forest."
- Not So Above It All:Alfe: Aww, look. Roba's having fun. Roba loves nature.
- Running Gag: Roba keeps mentioning that he doesn't have his glasses or his wallet