The first season (titled Guardians of the Core) stars Ish, a young boy who is named a Guardian, given powers and tasked with protecting the 32 NFL teams and their shards (recognized as the various teams' symbols). The 32 shards make up the Core and are incredibly powerful. Ish must stop the evil Sudden Death from using them for his own nefarious purposes.
The second season (titled Season of the Guardians) is follows the ever expanding Guardians forces facing off against a new villain called Wild Card. The shards have been revamped as Megacores.
The third season (titled Guardians Unleashed) is currently airing and features the aftermath of the Guardians last encounter with Wild Card and the return of Sudden Death.
The series is, in part, produced by the NFL and feature various NFL stars as guest voice actors as themselves in the show.
- Big Bad: The first season had Sudden Death. The second season had Wild Card. The third season villain is currently Sudden Death.
- Celebrity Toons: The various NFL stars.
- The Dark Side: Ash, Ricky and Ish were tempted by and joined the bad guys. They later come to their senses and join the guardians.
- Five-Man Band:
- Green-Eyed Monster: Sidekick was jealous of Richard's son, who got what little love the doctor gave to anything besides his work. This causes Sidekick to sabotage their experiment in an attempt to kill Warren and have Richard to himself.
- HeelFace Turn: Ash and Ricky were both villains in their first appearances. They both later realize their mistakes and join the Guardians.
- Large Ham: Marty
- Product Placement: The show is practically a buffet of NFL-owned logos.
- Smurfette Principle: Ash is the only girl on the team.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Richard Zimmer was more interested in study the Core and harnessing its energy then paying any sort of attention to his son Warren.