Rainbow Dash: Oh, oh! Excuuuuse me! We're just ordinary girls who have saved the world from complete destruction multiple times!
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Spring Breakdown is an animated hour-long cartoon special set in the My Little Pony: Equestria Girls series. It initially aired on March 30, 2019. As with previous movies starting with My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Forgotten Friendship, it was serialized onto Youtube starting on April 12, 2019, this time on the Official My Little Pony channel instead of the Hasbro channel.
It's Spring Break, and the Rainbooms are about to board the most glorious yacht ever for a relaxing cruise. But Rainbow Dash is convinced that Equestrian Magic is on the loose and won't let anyone rest until she finds it! This leads to disaster on the high seas, a trip to Ponyville, and the ultimate discovery that Equestrian Magic related to the Storm King has seeped into their world and is threatening everyone on board the yacht!
The online version can be found below:
- "Bon Voyage"
- "Sea Legs"
- "Tropical Depression"
- "Friend Overboard"
- "Hoofin' It"
- "That Sinking Feeling"
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Spring Breakdown provides examples of:
- Almost Kiss: Rarity and Ragamuffin lean in to kiss, but Rainbow Dash zips by with her Super-Speed to yank Rarity away before their lips lock.
- Anachronic Order: Despite the special airing right before the start of Season 9 of Friendship Is Magic, Spike doesn't have his wings in this special (meaning that it has to take place before "Molt Down") and the School of Friendship is not seen next to Twilight's castle. Hence, this special happens some time between the movie and the building of the school, at the beginning of season 8. Word of God reveals they didn't know Spike was getting wings when they made the special.
- Animorphism: The quicksand portal transforms people into ponies when they go through it. Twilight doesn't take it very well at first, and their friends all look very confused when they go to Princess Twilight's castle on their way home.Twilight: All my things are horse things!
Sunset: Around here we call them "pony things".
- Anti-Climax: Lampshaded and subverted. The magical storm is stopped by Sunset, Twilight and Rainbow holding up the Staff of Sacanas for a few seconds, prompting Sunset to note how easy it was. However, with the ship still sinking, the girls have to perform a climatic rescue sequence.
- Art Shift: Rainbow Dash's Imagine Spot of a sea monster attacking the boat is in a very simplified art style, with abstract Noodle People and basic coloring.
- Brutal Honesty: Sunset resorts to this when she tries to get Rainbow to stop looking for evil magic on the cruise after Rainbow tells her she can take whatever she says. Sunset tells Rainbow that she's ruining it for everyone, and Rainbow says she feels like Sunset's words punched her feelings.
- The Bus Came Back: Equestria's Spike makes his first and only chronological appearance in the series since Rainbow Rocks, though, like Princess Twilight, he doesn't return to the human realm.
- Busman's Holiday: Rainbow is expecting (and practically hoping) the cruise turns into another exciting adventure against out-of-control magic. She gets her wish.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes: When Sunset, Twilight and Rainbow all first travel to Equestria, the cave they land in is so dark that only their eyes can be seen until Sunset lights up the cave.
- Call-Back: The magic that causes the storm is caused by the Storm King from My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).
- The Cameo:
- Lily Pad is seen at the petting zoo.
- As Sunset, Twilight, and Rainbow sneak through Ponyville, Mrs. Cake, Big Macintosh, Pony Rainbow and Applejack are briefly seen.
- Carrying a Cake: Every time Pinkie Pie picks up a bundt cake, Rainbow Dash makes her drop it.
- Cassandra Truth: Rainbow brings her friends to the side of the boat after seeing the Storm King's symbol glow in the water. But, because Rainbow had spent so long cloying about "evil magic," the rest of the Equestria Girls think Rainbow is seeing only what she wants to see.
- Cliffhanger: If you're watching the special by individual parts, this happens at the end of every segment.
- "Bon Voyage" ends with Rainbow Dash about to go up against Trixie while investigating an indoor stage area for bad magic.
- "Sea Legs" Ends with Rainbow acidently disabling the ship's engines and exclaims "It's about to go down!", leading everyone to believe the ship is about to sink, creating cruise-wide panic.
- "Tropical Depression" Ends with Twilight and Sunset realising Rainbow has gone into the raging storm by herself to find out if there's real Equestrian magic.
- "Friend Overboard" Ends with Twilight, Rainbow and Sunset jumping into the portal and when they find themselves in a dark underground cavern, they've turned into ponies. Twilight does not take it well.
- "Hoofin' It" Isn't really a cliffhanger, but when Twilight, Rainbow and Sunset realize their friends are in terrible danger, the three ponies prepare themselves to save them.
- Continuity Cavalcade: Other than the Staff of Sacanas, the other objects Princess Twilight gathers are Owlowiscious' feather, "Mr. Turnip", the Alicorn Amulet, Boneless, the Staff of Sameness, the giant Dragon Pit die and phoenix feather quill from "Uncommon Bond", and the six artifacts introduced in "A Matter of Principals".
- Continuity Nod:
- Applejack remarks that the Rainbooms couldn't even visit Equestrialand without it turning into a "calamity".
- While putting on her magic show, Trixie wears the same costume she wore in "Street Magic with Trixie!"
- Rarity tells Ragamuffin how she played a coal miner's daughter in the school play Bedazzled.
- Sunset Shimmer mentions how she brought magic into this world in the first place.
- Rainbow Dash says that the too-hot chocolate fondue needs to be "twenty percent cooler."
- Princess Twilight mentions the time she was saved by her student.
- Rainbow and Twilight argue about whether to call their transformation "pony up" or "rainbow lasers". Pinkie proceeds to Take a Third Option by yelling "Light it up, ladies!"
- Costume Evolution: Besides wearing summer-themed outfits, the Rainbooms don't wear their geodes as pendants anymore. Twilight's geode is in a hair clip, Sunset's is on the clasp for her belt, Rainbow Dash's is on a wristband, Pinkie's is on her hairbow, etc.
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: Rainbow Dash repeatedly insists, to her friends' annoyance, that evil magic must be causing trouble. She ultimately turns out to be right when the magic of the Storm King creates a massive thunderstorm.
- Cuteness Proximity: Invoked on the cruise ship with the petting zoo.
- The Darkness Gazes Back: As Sunset and Twilight are hesitating going into the island's jungle, several pairs of eyes can be seen glowing through the vegetation.
- Death Glare: After Applejack's Vomit Discretion Shot, Rainbow wonders if Applejack is seasick because of evil magic. Applejack glares at Rainbow, slowly wiping her mouth with her arm. Rainbow concedes the point and sheepishly backs off.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: Discussed. In Rainbow Dash's imaginary scenario of the Rainbooms fighting a sea monster attacking the cruise ship, the story ends with them and the monster becoming friends after Fluttershy worries about the monster.
- Department of Redundancy Department:
- Used in the description for the cruise that the girls are taking.Twilight: Welcome aboard the Luxe Deluxe, where you'll set sail for a full week of luxurious luxuriating on our most deluxe luxury liner!
Fluttershy: Goodness. Sounds... luxurious.
- "An all-you-can-eat dessert buffet you can eat all you can eat at."
- Used in the description for the cruise that the girls are taking.
- Disturbed Doves: When Sci-Twi realizes she'd been turned into a pony, her shocked scream is so loud that a flock of birds on the surface take flight, despite herself being underground.
- *Drool* Hello: Rainbow Dash, stuck in quicksand, is warned of the presence of a giant Man-Eating Plant above by some droplets of sap falling on her.
- EMP: Pretty much the effect produced by Rainbow Dash unleashing the "rainbow lasers" during the Rainbooms' song, against the advice of the other girls. Several lights burst, all electric appliances switch off and the ship's engine stops.
- Exact Words: While looking for "evil magic" on the cruise, Rainbow Dash asks if anyone's seen any bad magic. Flash Sentry points Rainbow to a small theater, where Trixie is performing an unimpressive magic show. In other words, bad magic.
- Failed Attempt at Drama: When attempting to find Rainbow Dash, heroic music swells as Sunset and Twilight take off in a life raft to look for her, with Dramatic Wind blowing their hair back as they rev the motor. The shot then abruptly cuts to show that Twilight forgot to untie the life raft from the ship.
- Fake Brit: In-Universe, Ragamuffin's last spoken line reveals that his strong Cockney accent was just an affectation. Rarity becomes appropriately surprised by it.
- Fanservice: The Rainbooms in summer dresses, and many background characters in swimsuits.
- Fantastic Light Source: Sunset Shimmer is the first to understand what happened after they cross the portal, and takes advantage of having recovered her unicorn magic to light up her horn, revealing that the trio have been turned into ponies.
- Fantasy Helmet Enforcement: Life jackets, in this case. In any situation which might have even a remote chance of needing to abandon ship, everyone is in life jackets.
- Forgot About His Powers: While not to the same extent as Mirror Magic due to still remembering her unicorn telekinesis this time and using her horn light, Sunset also has a moment of this where she forgets about her ability to teleport and opts to just walk to the Castle of Friendship instead,
- French Jerk: Puffed Pastry, the cook, has a strong French accent and is rather rude and confrontational following the first bundt cake accident. This however can be justified as she was upset that Rainbow Dash ruined her cake.
- Funny Background Event:
- During Rainbow, Twilight and Sunset's attempt to sneak through Ponyville without being seen, one stallion sees Human Rainbow while he's talking to Pony Rainbow, resulting in him fainting from surprise.
- When Rainbow, Twilight and Sunset enter Princess Twilight's castle, she's helping Spike adjust a painting by holding it with her telekinesis. When she turns around and her magic shuts off, Spike is stuck holding the now-unsupported painting and struggling visibly, cumulating in him dropping and smashing it.
- Furry Reminder: When Sunset sees Equestrian Rainbow Dash, she lets out an alarmed whinny.
- Gainax Ending: With the ship sunken and everyone stranded, how will they get back home? Sunset has a strange idea; they take the portal to Equestria and use the Crystal Mirror to get back to Canterlot High. The final shot has to be seen to be believed.Sunset: We're back...
- Green Around the Gills: A Running Gag throughout the special is Applejack barely able to handle being on the ocean. Her face is perpetually turning green from seasickness, complete with a Vomit Discretion Shot when she can't handle it anymore.
- High-Pressure Emotion: When Rainbow Dash accidentally destroys a fresh-out-of-the-oven bundt cake, Puffed Pastry (the cook) gets red in the face with a teakettle sound.
- Hollywood CB: Applejack calls out "Breaker 4 and a half" into her walker talkie. There are no half channels in CB, and the walkies are likely single-channel radios.
- Hostile Weather: The Storm King's magic manifests as a storm that attacks the moment the Rainbooms reveal their own magic on the cruise. First the lightning knocks out the ship's engines, then it strikes very close to individuals on the main deck, and thwarts attempts to repair or evacuate the ship.Pinkie Pie: To the lifeboats! [lightning strikes all the lifeboats and they sink] ...and there go the lifeboats. That was a very specific lightning strike.
- How Do I Shot Web?: When Human Twilight and Human Rainbow go to Equestria, they have to get used to pony abilities. Rainbow can't control how she flies at first, and can't fold her wings properly, while Twilight struggles with unicorn telekinesis, though both manage to get the hang of them by the end.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Part of the conflict the rest of the Rainbooms have with Rainbow Dash is that they want to just enjoy spring break as a relaxing vacation. Rainbow Dash wants evil magic to show up so they can all be superheroes again.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Invoked. Rainbow Dash wants to defeat evil Equestrian magic because she wants to feel like a superhero. As a result, she spends the first half of the special trying to find some source of conflict involving magic so she and her friends can save the day.
- Imagine Spot: Rainbow Dash imagines an art-shifted sequence where a sea monster is attacking the yacht, to give a pretext for the girls to save the day.
- Immediate Self-Contradiction: Invoked by Rainbow Dash:Sunset: Twilight worked really hard to plan this trip for all of us, and... Ugh, how can I say this without being mean?
Rainbow: Just say it! I can take it!
Sunset: You're ruining it for everyone!
Rainbow: Ouch! Your words just... punched my feelings.
Sunset: You said you could take it!
- Implausible Deniability: When Sunset and Twilight find Rainbow stuck in quicksand, she claims that she's "taking a rest" and when Twilight tells her not to struggle, she flippantly asks "Who's struggling?", annoying Twilight.
- Ironic Echo:
- When Rainbow Dash states that the Rainbooms are superheroes, Twilight denies it, to which Rainbow Dash responds:Rainbow Dash: Oh, oh! Excuuuuse me! We're just ordinary girls who have saved the world from complete destruction multiple times!
- Later, when talking with her Pony counterpart, Human Twilight states the Rainbooms are like superheroes, which Princess Twilight denies. Sci-Twi then responds by saying the same thing Rainbow Dash said earlier, with the two picking up the irony.
- When Rainbow Dash states that the Rainbooms are superheroes, Twilight denies it, to which Rainbow Dash responds:
- Ironic Echo Cut: Several in succession occur when juxtaposing the three girls in Equestria calmly chatting with Princess Twilight against the rest of the Rainbooms freaking out over the cruise ship sinking.Sunset: Oh, they're back home waiting for us. But they're fine. No reason to hurry back.
[cut; lightning strike]
Fluttershy: Oh, I hope they hurry back!
Twilight: Ah, we have all the time in the world.
Pinkie Pie: We're running out of time!
Twilight: Mmm! I love this!
[cut; thunder and lightning]
Rarity: I hate this!
- It's All About Me: It's implied that Rainbow wants to call the transformation "rainbow lasers" because it has her name in it.
- It's All My Fault:
- Rainbow realizes that she ruined everyone's spring break by trying to find evil magic, to which she apologizes to Sunset and Twilight.
- Sunset still shows moments of Heroic Self-Deprecation for bringing Equestrian magic to the human world in the first place, saying that Rainbow wouldn't be looking so hard for magic if it weren't for her.
- It's a Long Story: Sunset makes this claim when Princess Twilight asks why Sunset is entering through the front door of the castle, rather than the portal in the library. Princess Twilight then deduces that the trio must have come through another portal, and Sunset concedes it's actually a fairly short story.
- It Was Here, I Swear!: The glowing Storm King sigil disappears before Rainbow Dash can gather her friends and show them. Twilight assumes Dash had only seen bioluminescent algae.
- Jerkass Realization: Rainbow admits that she was the one who ruined everyone's spring break by causing all of the trouble as Sunset and Twilight try to help her escape from a quicksand pit.
- Jumped at the Call: Rainbow Dash is hoping to fight the powers of evil magic while on the cruise ship, so much so that she is surprised to learn her friends aren't as eager to become superheroes.
- Large Ham: In-universe. Ragamuffin plays a Fake Brit immigrant with a badly forced Cockney accent throughout the cruise.
- Literal Metaphor: Sunset loads one of the lifeboats to go after Rainbow Dash and asks Twilight if she's in.Twilight: Of course I'm in! 100% on board.
Sunset: [gestures towards lifeboat] Then get on board.
- Man-Eating Plant: A huge one shows up on the island next to the portal, which attacks Sunset, Rainbow, and Twilight. The Equestrian magic generated by the portal apparently caused it to mutate.
- Meet Cute: Rarity meets Ragamuffin picking up her change at the duty free store.
- Misplaced Retribution: When Rainbow Dash accidentally ruins Puffed Pastry's bundt cake, she bans both Rainbow and Pinkie Pie from the buffet despite Pinkie not doing anything wrong.
- Missing Child: While the ship is sinking, one of the passengers lost her daughter in the panic. Luckily Sunset manages to reunite the daughter with her mother.
- Mistaken for Badass: During her magic show, Trixie remarks that she'll return water to a vase. After she says this, the room begins to flood, causing Trixie to remark that she's too powerful.
- Mobile Shrubbery: Sunset eventually uses a large bush to hide herself and the ponified Twilight and Rainbow as they sneak to Princess Twilight's castle. By the time the three get inside the castle, they're still wearing it.
- Never the Selves Shall Meet: Zigzagged. While traveling to Princess Twilight's castle, Sunset intentionally avoids having Rainbow Dash meet her pony counterpart. However, Princess Twilight and Human Twilight meet up to have a long chat with no trouble. (Also, they had already met in the stinger of Friendship Games.) Sunset's concern seems to be out of a more mundane desire to avoid awkward questions about doubles running around.
- Never Trust a Trailer: Admitted by Word of God. The special was written as a Character Development piece where the girls, particularly Twilight and Rainbow, accept their status as Magical Girls, and their trip to Equestria and becoming ponies was incidental to that character arc. But the first trailers for the special focused on showing the group going to Equestria and being ponies, and this created the inaccurate interpretation that this would be the focus of the special.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Rainbow's attempt to make a laser show using her magic ends up causing the ship's power to shut down. It also summons a deadly magic storm, but that part she actually wanted to happen.
- No Antagonist: This is the first Equestria Girls special to not feature any villainous character. The only real conflict is Equestrian magic brought to the human world by a random portal.
- No Time to Explain: When Sunset Shimmer pushes Rainbow Dash deeper into the quicksand (actually a portal to Equestria), Twilight is shocked, but Sunset only responds "I'll explain later." With a Man-Eating Plant closing on them, held at bay only by Twilight's telekinesis, they really have no time to waste on exposition.
- Not in Front of the Parrot!: A parrot on the small island repeats some much-needed exposition to let Sunset and Twilight know that Rainbow Dash is somewhere there by repeating "or my name's not Rainbow Dash."
- Oblivious to His Own Description: Human Twilight tells Princess Twilight that she thinks the ponies sound like superheroes and not just ordinary ponies saving the whole world on a regular basis. Human Rainbow Dash reminds her that they'd had a similar conversation earlier.
- Oblivious Transformation: Twilight and Rainbow Dash don't even notice that they have transformed until Sunset uses her horn to illuminate the cave they are in, allowing them to see Sunset's Pony form and realize what happened. (It's also worth noting that the only reason Sunset knows they are in Equestria is because she realized the "quicksand" they found was just sand covering the portal they later used, and not due to the transformation.)
- Or My Name Isn't...: Lampshaded by Rainbow Dash after another parrot repeats her saying it.Rainbow Dash: I gotta stop saying my name all the time.
- Orphaned Punchline: Courtesy of dragon Spike. Apparently, it is quite funny.Spike: ...and that's the last time I ever went to a dragon wedding!
- Pie in the Face: Rainbow Dash sends a bundt cake flying by tackling Puffed Pastry, and it naturally lands in the face of a poor bystander, to Pinkie Pie's horror.
- Pillar of Light:
- Sunset and Twilight diving into the quicksand-hidden portal cause a beam of yellow light to burst through, and rise into the island's sky.
- Later, the Staff of Sacana shoots another pillar that attracts and absorbs the storm clouds, clearing the sky.
- Plot-Mandated Friendship Failure: Rainbow ends up annoying her friends in her search to find new evil magic to defeat on the cruise, and ruins several activities for them in the process. The biggest one is between her and Twilight, when they argue over whether they are superheroes or not.
- Posthumous Character: The Storm King, whose magic entered the human world and is the cause of the storm. He was defeated in the 2017 movie, and remains so here.
- Prepositions Are Not to End Sentences With: Twilight's verbal Beat before the "at" at the end of the description of the all-you-can-eat buffet conveys disapproval of the phrasing.
- Quicksand Sucks: Averted. Rainbow Dash falls into a pit of quicksand when she visits a small island, but sinks realistically slowly as she struggles to escape it. Sunset also tells Rainbow not to struggle, and it's only when a Man-Eating Plant shows up that forces the issue that Rainbow begins to rapidly sink from trying to get free.
- Read the Freaking Manual: Twilight berates the ship's engineers for their repair attempt, asking if any of them had read the (600-page) repair manual.
- Refusal of the Call: The rest of the group, in contrast to Rainbow Dash's Jumped at the Call, is much more eager to relax than look for evil to fight.
- Repetitive Name: The boat where most of the action takes place is called the Luxe Deluxe.
- Running Gag:
- Rainbow Dash crying out "Who's with me!?" only to have no-one respond. When Twilight says it to rally the Rainbooms to save the people on the sinking cruise, Rainbow says "You see how easy that was?"
- Applejack getting easily seasick while on the ship.
- Shaped Like Itself: One attraction of the cruise is "an all-you-can-eat buffet you can eat all you can eat at".
- She Who Fights Monsters: While not exactly villainous, Rainbow Dash tries so hard to find a villain to fight, she ruins everyone's fun. She admits that she was the villainess making everyone miserable.
- Ship Tease:
- During the Rainbooms' concert, Sunset winks at Flash Sentry, who reacts with a blush and a Squee.
- Rarity gets teased with Ragamuffin, a deckhand who's also an aspiring dancer. This doubles as a tease to the Rarity×Applejack ship that was built up in Rollercoaster of Friendship, because Ragamuffin looks exactly like a male version of Applejack. There's a shot where he stands next to Applejack and the rest of the main cast make boggled or shocked expressions at how similar they look.
- Bulk Biceps poses on the front of the ship like Jack from Titanic. The ship also begins to sink by getting cut on some rocks in a similar manner to how the Titanic sank. Also, the romance between Rarity and Ragamuffin mirrors that of Jack and Rose.
- Ragamuffin's backstory is based on Billy Elliot.
- After they enter Equestria, Human Twilight looks at her reflection, and yells that she has a "pony face".
- The painting Spike is trying to hang in Twilight's castle is a ponified version of a Salvador Dalí artwork.
- Rainbow Dash shouts "It's hero time!" on two separate occasions, the second time even touching the bracer sporting her geode.
- A song accompanying the special is called "I'm on a Yacht", a reference to "I'm on a Boat" by The Lonely Island.
- Rainbow Dash propels a lifeboat across the water using her super-fast legs, much like another character named Dash.
- Shown Their Work: Rainbow Dash only sinks so far into the quicksand because it's actually sand covering a portal (that requires some effort to push through). Otherwise it's implied she wouldn't sink past her head (in the real world people don't drown in quicksand, the danger comes from being stuck and dying of exposure, dehydration or starvation) and Sunset actually has to push her under the sand.
- Sinking Ship Scenario: The lightning storm disables the cruise ship, to the point it starts sinking. Sunset, Twilight, and Rainbow use the Storm King's staff to suck up the lightning storm after coming back from Equestria. This stops the lightning, but as a nearby parrot notes, it doesn't stop the cruise ship from sinking.
- Slow-Motion Fall: We see Sunset and Twilight falling into the quicksand-covered portal in slow motion, including the sound being stretched out.
- Stylistic Suck: When Rainbow describes a sea monster attacking the ship, the art style shifts to a crayon drawing of the scene with Limited Animation.
- Tasty Gold: Ragamuffin plays this for a chuckle with Rarity's penny.
- Tempting Fate: When the power goes out, Applejack reasons that she might be able to fool her brain into thinking she's not on a boat. She immediately gets sick again, saying her brain must have heard her.
- This Is No Time to Panic: When pony Twilight starts realizing what's going on in the human world...Princess Twilight Sparkle: Okay. Nopony freak out, but I think that maybe there's a chance when we destroyed the Storm King, we didn't capture all his magic, and maybe it found its way into your world! It might be turning into a giant, magic storm and threatening your friends as we speak! NOPONY FREAK OUT!
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Sunset's Touch Telepathy comes in handy during the rescue sequence when she needs to figure out the identity of a lost child's mother.
- Throwing the Distraction: Pinkie Pie charges a candy with energy and throws it away, making it go off like a firecracker, to distract Puffed Pastry away from the buffet, giving Pinkie a chance at eating the bundt cake.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Pony Pinkie Pie drops by to serve fondue at the castle, quickly acknowledging Human Rainbow Dash and "pony with glasses who I don't recognize", despite it obviously being a pre-alicorn Twilight. She also doesn't think anything of Sunset Shimmer being there. Then again, this is Pinkie we're talking about.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Trixie's explanation of how old people poorly imitate her tricks ("good magic attracts bad magic," as she puts it) gives Rainbow Dash the idea to deliberately attract evil magic by having the Rainbooms use their friendship magic.
- Vacation Episode: The Rainbooms and their classmates are on spring break during the cruise.
- Vertigo Effect: When Pinkie Pie finds out there is no more bundt cake under the cloche, there's a zoom on her face with the background recoiling, along with a dramatic chord and the light dimming as her expression change.
- Villainous Legacy: It turns out that some of the magic the Storm King stole leaked into the human world before he was defeated, causing the storm that threatens the cruise.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Applejack pukes past the boat's railing after Rainbow Dash shakes her too much while she's seasick.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Discussed. Rainbow Dash tries to convince her friends that they're superheroes, not just regular high-school students who happen to have saved the whole world several times.
- Was It All a Lie?: When Ragamuffin drops his Fake Brit routine complete with a forced Cockney accent, Rarity is left wondering if she had fallen for a role he was rehearsing.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Rainbow Dash gets two. The first is from Sunset, who resorts to Brutal Honesty that Rainbow's search for evil magic is making the vacation worse. When Rainbow attempts to go out during the storm to find the source of "evil magic", she gets another lecture from Twilight, who questions Rainbow about what she thinks she'll do when she finds this magic.
- Windmill Crusader: Subverted. Rainbow Dash spends much of the cruise trying to find evil magic, but keeps bothering everyone with her antics until she gets a lecture about it. Later, it turns out to be No Mere Windmill when the Storm King's magic causes a huge thunderstorm.
- With Catlike Tread: When Pinkie attempts to sneak back into the dining hall to grab a bite of the triple berry bundt cake, the chef catches her, causing Pinkie to scream.Chef: Who's there?!
Pinkie: [yelling] No-one!