Monster Boy is an animation project currently in the works at Bournemouth University. It is based in a world where humans carry invisible monsters. These creatures are always attached to their bodies in some way, and represent all that is negative about that persons personality. Their forms are impressioned by aspects of their host, but exist in a plane entirely separate to reality. They cannot affect the real world, nor can they be seen or heard.
The main character, however, breaks this mould when he first becomes aware of his monster, the self-titled Vex, at age 13. At first, the boy can only hear his voice, but Vex is quick to reveal himself, and the idea of monsters, to him.
The boy discovers that, indeed, he is not alone. Everyone he meets has a monster of their own design, yet are completely unaware of them: his teachers, the school children, even his own parents.
As Vex will explain to the boy in due time, these monsters seem to appear to humans in times of turmoil, and represent their current situation. For example, Chris is suffering greatly from an inferiority complex and artistic frustration, of which Nexus is quick to remind him.
The story explores the lives of the three main characters, their lives, and their monsters; it addresses topics such as bullying, loneliness, social awkwardness, loss of loved ones, etc.
Monster Boy was created by Rebekka Hearl. Once she graduates, she hopes to pitch this idea and the work to an animation company, in hopes of having it produced as a computer animated feature film. Currently, she is uploading the pre-production work to her DeviantArt, YouTube, and Tumblr. Proper production of a 3-5 minute computer animated scene is expected to commence in the fall.
Monster Boy provides examples of:
- Anti-Villain: Viola's monster is said to feed less "fervently" on its host's emotions than most monsters, and actually seems to care for her to some extent.
- Blob Monster: Vex is an amorphous mass of shadows that "stands" at about eight feet in height and is covered in faces with rapidly-changing expressions.)
- Determinator: Chris. No matter how many times Nexus destroys his artwork, he just keeps on drawing.
- Emotion Eater: The monsters function as this, feeding off their respective child's negative emotions.
- Everyone Meets Everyone: In the pilot, Viola meets Boy (though off screen), Boy meets Chris, Nexus meets Boy, Chris and Viola meet Vex, Boy sort of meets Emese.
- Ink-Suit Actor: While it could be unintentional, Chris does look a lot like Kirbopher.
- Invisible to Normals: The eponymous Monsters can only be seen by a select few individuals.
- Meaningful Name: Vex (meaning "to annoy" or, more fittingly "to bring distress") and Nexus (meaning "chains").
- No Name Given: The main character's name is never given, so the creator and the fans simply refer to him as Boy. Apparently his name will be revealed eventually, but that may not be for a while.
- Troll: Nexus, Chris's monster, is essentially this, constantly belittling Chris's art and messing with him in general.