The Monchhichis resided in the woodsy kingdom of Monchhia, under the rule of a benign wizard, Wizzar. This tribe of highly developed monkey-like creatures lived in the tops of very tall trees, high above the clouds. Their idyllic life was continually threatened by the gloomy Grumplins of nearby Grumplor, whose evil leader, Horgg, enjoyed being called "Your Loathsomeness" and "Your Nastiness". The wise Wizzar would often conjure up powerful spells to save the Monchhichis from the evil grasp of the Grumplins. Fortunately, the Monchhichis were smarter and more resourceful in their efforts to protect their treetop society.
Monchhichis provides examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: From a line of Japanese dolls imported by Mattel.
- Big Bad: Horgg was the main antagonist.
- British Brevity: This show lasted for one season of thirteen episodes, and was only on air for three months. It never got a second series.
- Dueling Shows / Follow the Leader: Like Scooby-Doo, which had similar shows such as Jabberjaw, this was similar to The Smurfs and The Snorks and as such was typical of these sorts of shows in the 1980s.
- Expy: Wizzar is one for Papa Smurf.
- Fat and Skinny: King Cumulus' guards Cloudy and Thunderhead in the episode "Cloud City".
- Mystical White Hair: Tootoo, although she isn't human.
- Premiseville: The show is set in "Monchhia".
- Short-Runners: This series only lasted for one thirteen-episode series, and a second run was never commissioned.
- Strictly Formula: It went down the typical plotlines of 1980s kids' shows: a Big Bad who was always scheming and evil, and conflict between the characters over Slice of Life issues and Amusing Injuries, along with Hanna-Barbera 's typical "house style" of animation that existed then.
- Theme Tune Rap: While the theme song is sung mostly, one lyric does this.
- Tree Top Town: The Monchhichis live in an entire treetop Kingdom.
- Verbal Tic: Tootoo, but she doesn't do this "tootoo" often.
- Wicked Witch: The "Sand Witch" from the episode "Moncho's Gift".