This Hanna-Barbera series, was another in the studio's 1960s action lineup. Moby Dick features the adventures of Moby Dick the Super Whale with his friends Tom and Tubb and Scooby the Seal.
This series so highly deviated from Herman Melville's book Moby-Dick that it might as well be In Name Only, unless our lead himself only is named after said book without actually being the same whale.
In his original series, Moby Dick shared a half hour with Mighty Mightor.
- Action Series: One of several produced by Hanna-Barbera in the 1960s, with an underwater theme.
- Catchphrase: "Gerono-Moby!"
- Crossover: With Space Ghost in his Council of Doom arc. Jan, Jace and Blip get rescued by Moby and friends.
- Glad He's on Our Side: In the episode "The Sinister Sea Saucer". Tug says this about Moby after Moby blows away a giant enemy manta ray.
- In Name Only: If you were expecting a faithful adaptation of Melville's book, this is the wrong cartoon for you. However, it could also be that this Moby himself is named after the whale in Melville's book. As in truth the series works fine without any knowledge of the book at all.
- Kid Sidekick: Two of them: Tom and Tubb.
- Monster of the Week: Moby had to fight plenty.
- Non-Human Sidekick: Scooby the Seal is one, as Moby himself is the star. The rest of the cast are his sidekicks.
- Origin Story: As detailed before each episode, Tom and Tubb get stranded from their uncle's ship and are surrounded by menacing sharks, but Moby comes to their rescue and befriends them. How exactly they meet Scooby is never stated.
- Superhero: Kind of odd to think of Moby-Dick in this way, but he is one here.
- Swallowed Whole: Both in a more "protect us Moby" fashion and in a more nefarious one where in the episode "The Sea Monster". Tug is swallowed by the title monster and finds that its interior is hollow.
- Threatening Shark: They appear not only in the origin story but also in several episodes.
- Three Shorts: The show ran on this format. This was the middle segment between two Mighty Mightor cartoons.