One day, Mickey and Minnie Mouse are out having a picnic in the countryside, when an old flame of Minnie's, Mortimer Mouse, arrives on the scene
- Big Damn Heroes: When Mickey is overwhelmed by the bull, his car comes to the rescue.
- Bull Seeing Red: Mortimer uses the red picnic blanket to goad the bull into fighting. Then, when the bull threatens Minnie, Mickey uses the blanket to distract the bull away from her. Then, Mickey's jalopy tries to distract the bull by flashing its red taillights at it and going after it instead of Mickey and Minnie.
- Dirty Coward: When Mortimer notices the bull's gate is open, he flees the scene, leaving Minnie to fend for herself against the bull. Thankfully, Mickey and his car are there to save her.
- Electric Joy Buzzer: A variation. After Mortimer pulls off his pants buttons, Mickey tries to return the favor, but Mortimer was Crazy-Prepared and had his buttons hooked up to batteries in his pockets, so Mickey gets a shock instead.
- Fake Arm Disarm: Mortimer shakes hands with Mickey using a fake hand. What's more, the hand is spring loaded to hit Mickey in the nose.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Mickey becomes quite jealous of Minnie flirting with Mortimer.
- Jerkass: Mortimer.
- A Load of Bull: The bull that Mortimer goads into fighting and which tries to attack Mickey and Minnie after Mortimer flees the scene.
- Mythology Gag: Walt Disney had originally intended Mickey to be named Mortimer, but his wife Lillian convinced her husband that the name sounded too pretentious, so Walt cleverly named Mortimer as a rival for Minnie
- Also, Mortimer was something of a caricature of Walt himself, who in the 1930s was decidedly ferret-faced.
- The Prankster: Mortimer, to Mickey.
- Sentient Vehicle: Both Mickey's jalopy and Mortimer's snazzy roadster.
- You're Just Jealous: Said by Minnie word for word when Mickey scoffs at Mortimer. While he is jealous, he's also right that Mortimer is full of himself.