Mary Kate and Ashley IN ACTION! was a short-lived Saturday-Morning Cartoon series produced by DiC Entertainment that aired on ABC. Coming off of the big Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen craze throughout The '90s, the girls voiced a pair of twin sisters named Misty (for Mary-Kate) and Amber (for Ashley), a pair of undercover teen superspies that go around the world solving crimes and mysteries mostly relating to things in the fashion world, going to cities such as Rome, Paris and London (where they went in their own DTV-movies before).
The show was canceled after just one season (consisting of only 26-episodes) due to poor ratings.
Tropes used by the series:
- Affably Evil: Renee ties the girls with ribbons and not handcuffs because handcuffs look terrible to her, even if they could have prevented the girls from escaping. She is about looks after all.
- Anime Hair: Rodney Choy has spiky blue hair.
- Catchphrase: "Let's go save the world...again!"
- Celebrity Toons: One of the last ones to come out of a celebrity craze.
- The Cruella: Renee La Rouge, a rich single woman who owns a multinational company.
- Deadpan Snarker: QuincyAmber: How come every time we give Quincy a hard time...
Misty: ...he makes a really good point?
Quincy: I'm a robotic genius dog. What were you expecting? Wisecracks? (scratches his ear) Scratch that.
- Did Not Get the Girl: In "Gift With Purchase", Rodney falls for teen model Dominique, who revealed to have a boyfriend, much to Rodney's disappointment. The girls tease him about it later on.Rodney: Don't worry Dominique, we'll get to the bottom of this.
[Later as the girls and Rodney head to their plane.]
Misty: Don't worry Dominique, we'll get to the bottom of this.
Rodney: Cut it out!
- The Dragon: Sylvie, to Renee La Rouge.
- Enemy Mine: The girls and Renee worked together in "Bad Hair Day".
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French: Renee La Rouge and Sylvie.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: The Olsen twins.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Ivan Quintero invents the gadgets for the Olsen twins.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: Even though Misty and Amber look identical, there are some ways to tell them apart.
- Misty's hair was considerably straighter while Amber's hair was a lot wavier.
- Much like how they were portrayed in their DTV-film series, Misty seemed to be a little more tomboyish while Amber seemed to be more of a Girly Girl.
- Insistent Terminology:Amber: We're not spies.
Misty: We're special agents.
- Modesty Towel: Renee in "In A Lather."
- Overt Operative: They're Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, obviously.
- Robot Dog: Quincy's technically a robot.
- Saturday-Morning Cartoon: Aired on ABC's Disney's Saturday morning.
- Shout-Out: In "Bad Hair Day", the Olsen twins' hair resemble a Super Saiyan.
- Teen Superspy: They're teenagers and they're secret agents.
- Weaponized Stench: In one episode, Clive Hedgemorton-Smythe uses his bad breath to knock the girls out.