Long Way North (knows also as "Tout en haut du monde") is a french animation movie detailing the story of a russian girl named Sasha who's grandfather, a explorer named Oloukine, departed upon a voyage to reach the North Pole aboard the ship Davaï, a specially designed icebreaker built to withstand the harsh arctic but after years without word from the vessel the Tsar issues a reward of 1 million rubles for anyone that can find it's whereabouts,
Sasha who is now 15 is about to host her social debut, she overhears a conversation in which Prince Tomsky belittles her grandfather's achievements, Tomsky considers Oloukine's failure to return as a humiliation to the Tsar, Sasha comes on defense of her grandfather, outraged after being contradicted by her, Tomsky storms from the building as other guests follow him, Sasha's father blames her for the family fall from grace.
Sasha decides to run away from home with the goal of finding the Davaï in hopes of not only saving her family's reputation but also to discover what was of her grandfather.
Long Way North provides examples of:
- Abandon Ship: Sasha and friends are forced to leave their ship after crashing against an iceberg.
- Action Girl: Sasha left home to go search for a crew to take her to the north pole.
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Prince Tomsky destroyed Sasha's family reputation simply because he disliked her grandfather.
- Artistic License History: The movie is set on 19th century Russia, while the Russians did several expeditions to the arctic both Sasha and grandfather are fictional characters.
- Badass Bookworm: Sasha has great knowledge about navigation, Captain Lund even decided to launch the expedition based on just her words.
- Damsel out of Distress: Her speaking against prince Tomsky was what caused the reputation of her family to fall, she takes it upon herself to correct that.
- Disaster Movie: A polar expedition in the middle of winter that goes wrong... for the most part.
- Going Down with the Ship: Captain Lund tries to pull one.
- Impoverished Patrician: Even if her family is still wealthy she doesn't has a single penny on her after running away from home.
- Jeanne d'Archétype: A teenage girl with great pride about her family and country, even going so far as to risk her life just to prove it.
- Little Miss Badass: She is just a 15 years old girl but when onto a expedition to the north pole.
- Lost at Sea: They got trapped on the arctic ocean ice sheets, in winter, with no hope of another ship passing by.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Sasha has a mental breakdown after realizing that the expedition, which was her idea, put her and the crew on a near death scenario.
- Noble Fugitive: Sasha worked as a server in a run down tavern for a month to avoid capture.
- Pirate Girl: Not pirates but she worked on a vessel along a seasoned crew.
- Princess in Rags: even Olga tries to convince her to change into better clothes, Sasha refused.
- Riches to Rags: Sasha when from hosting events for other aristocrats to working as a server on a small bar to become a cabin girl on a ship.
- Sinking Ship Scenario: What was thought it happened to the Davai and what happens to the main characters boat.
- Undercover Model: She is an aristocrat hiding while working on a fishing vessel.
- The Captain: Captain Lund.