Little Big Awesome is a show on Amazon Prime, created by Tomi Dieguez and Ben Gruber. It follows two best friends as they have awesome adventures: Lennon, a little purple “solid” who always wears a green snow cap, and Gluko, a big pink “jelly” who can shift into different forms. Together, they can take on whatever problem the city of Townopolis throws at them! Notably, the show often utilizes multiple presentation styles in each episode, including traditional 2D, CGI, puppets, and even live-action in the case of Mr. Sun and The Moon (and various animals).
Not to be confused with LittleBigPlanet, even if some of the character designs do look weirdly similar, or Little Big League
Serving up some little big tropes:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The people on this show come in just about every color of the rainbow.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: It’s mentioned in one episode that the sun needs to go to a doctor’s appointment for... some reason.
- Black Comedy Animal Cruelty: It's a sugary kids’ show, but Gluko doesn’t know how to take care of a goat he got as a present, so he ends up doing things like taking it on a pudding slide and feeding it taffy. The goat does not appreciate this.
- Celestial Body: Mr. Sun and the Moon are represented as the heads of Weird Al and Aimee Man, superimposed onto their respective entities. When they take a break from their roles to eat together at a space restaurant, the rest of their bodies are shown.
- Culture Clash: In-universe. Lennon doesn’t quite understand the nuances of a “steenth” birthday, but he’s more than willing to learn.
- Dull Surprise: The Moon tends to speaks this way, but that’s probably because she’s the cool, collected one compared to the loud, energetic sun.
- Exposed Extraterrestrials: Gluko and the other jellies aren’t aliens, but they are a different species from the solids, and they don’t really wear clothes.
- Fantastic Racism: When Gluko and Lennon go to Jellyopolis, it’s shown that the local Jellies are afraid of solids, so Lennon has to wear a disguise.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Lennon and Gluko are best friends, to the point that when they have to stay apart from each other or the world will explode, they can’t do it.
- Let's Duet: Kind of inevitable when you have two famous musicians playing the sun and moon.
- Loads and Loads of Races: It seems as though the characters in the show can be sentient versions of just about anything. There’s egg people, potato people, frisbee people, etc
- Medium Awareness: Averted. No one ever comments on the copious amounts of medium blending as described below.
- Medium Blending: Take any given character and they might be 2D, 3D, a puppet, or even an actual person in the case of Weird Al and Aimee Man. Sometimes the characters will switch mediums depending on the situation!
- Rubber Man: All jellies.
- Solar and Lunar: Of the “male sun, female moon” variety. Both entities are played in live-action too, with the energetic sun being Weird Al, and the calmer moon being Aimee Man, and they’re shown to be great friends.
- The Stars Are Going Out: Not in an apocalyptic sense, but Mr. Sun rolls away when Lennon gets mad at him for burning Gluko. This plunges Townopolis into permanent night, scaring a lot of the citizens.
- Sugar Bowl: The world has puppy rain and other overly sweet concepts.