In this cartoon Pluto is out and about on a snowy day when he sees someone throw a sack with a brick around it into a stream. Pluto saves the victim inside the sack—a cute kitten. This backfires on Pluto when the kitten follows him home and Pluto's owner, Mickey Mouse, takes a fancy to the kitten. Mickey gives the kitten milk in Pluto's bowl and lets it sleep in Pluto's bed, much to the frustration of Pluto, who plots to get rid of the kitten.
- Adapted Out: Minnie Mouse had a role in the original Mickey's Pal Pluto short, but was removed from this remake. The litter of kittens are also condensed into one kitten for this short.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When the kitten falls into the well, Pluto's shoulder angel gets tired of being pushed around and beats up Pluto's shoulder devil.
- Cute Kitten: Has anyone ever been better at making kittens look cute than Disney?
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: A Good Angel appears to urge Pluto to accept the kitten but a Bad Angel appears urging Pluto to get rid of the kitten. Pluto listens to the Bad Angel, with unfortunate consequences.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Normally good-hearted Pluto gets very jealous of the young kitten. His eyes literally turn green briefly, too.
- Harmless Freezing: When Pluto is fished out of the well he is encased in a solid block of ice. Mickey thaws him out without too much trouble.
- The Remake: Of the black-and-white Mickey short Mickey's Pal Pluto, which has an identical plot to this, but with several kittens as opposed to just one, as well as the addition of Minnie.
- Through a Face Full of Fur: Pluto turns blue from the freezing chill after going after the kitten to rescue him from a well and leaping into the basket, which is then lowered down the well and into the water by a crank. Pluto's bad conscience gets scared and turns yellow when his good conscience is about to give him a licking.