Lascars is a French animated series created by Boris Dolivet a.k.a. El Diablo. It depicts with humor the misadventures of the youth subculture influenced by Hip-Hop, the series mostly uses verlan slang and adult humour, the episodes are usually shorts (1 minute). 2 seasons (60 episodes) was made in 1998 and 2007, an unaired pilot was also made for a 20 minute series.
Lascars (the series) provides examples of the following tropes:
- Art Evolution: The character design of the first season looks rather simple; in the second season, the character design becames more caricatural. Finally, the movie have a better animation. To see the art evolution, look at the different design of Tony Merguez◊.
- Badass Bookworm: N'Cool, the graffiti guy in the episode "Pouilldé".
- Celebrity Star
- In the first season, there is an episode about the famous fashion designer Jean-Paul Gaultier.
- Also, in season two, the episode "Retour vers le vintage" portrays the french rapper Joey Starr as an old man in the future.
- The Future: "Retour vers le vintage" in the second season.
- Gross-Out Show: Gross moments appears sometimes in the series.
- Hip-Hop: The whole series is influenced by this culture.
- Musical Episode: "Schlague Attack" in the second season.
Lascars (the movie) provides examples of the following tropes:
- Artistic Title: The opening sequence which introduce the characters in a different art style.
- Ax-Crazy: Zoran
- Berserk Button: Zoran and Manuela.
- Butt-Monkey: Tony Merguez.
- Cameo: Look this scene and tell us, where's Waldo◊? You can find SpongeBob and Crayon Shin-chan, too.
- Chainsaw Good: Zoran
- Cone of Shame: The judge's dog wears one.
- Gainaxing: Manuela's boobs.
- Ink-Suit Actor
- Samy and Narbé are dubbed by the comic duo Omar & Fred; these characters seem to be made for them.
- Also, one of John Boolman's "actresses" is dubbed by Katsumi, a real porn actress.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Manuela is wildly attracted by Tony Merguez.
- Lover's Ledge: Subverted, where the man on the ledge is the actual boyfriend, trying to escape his enraged girlfriend after a misunderstanding (even has him in his underwear).
- Punny Name: Judge Santiépi which means "sans pitié" (no pity) in verlan slang.
- Reckless Gun Usage: Zoran manages to shoot himself in the foot during a tantrum.
- Sauna of Death: An accidental example for Tony Merguez.
- Unlucky Everydude: Tony Merguez doesn't have chance with girls, even when he has a girlfriend.
- Yandere: Manuela, oh so much.