Kitbull is a 2019 animated short film (9 minutes) directed by Rosana Sullivan. It is one of the Pixar Shorts.
A stray kitten lives in the garbage cans behind a building in what is eventually revealed to be San Francisco. The kitten does a pretty good job providing for itself, even managing to find a fish. One day the people who work in the building the kitten lives behind show up with a pit bull. The little kitten is naturally scared of the big strong pit bull, even though the dog never makes any aggressive move towards the kitten. Eventually the dog and the kitten make a tentative friendship—and then the cat finds out something disturbing about the dog.
A rare example of a Pixar short done in traditional 2-D animation (although it was still drawn digitally). It was nominated for Best Animated Short at the Academy Awards.
You can watch the whole short on YouTube HERE.
- Bad People Abuse Animals: Bad people take cute cuddly pit bulls and use them for dogfighting.
- Beastly Bloodsports: The dog is being abused by its owners, who are running an underground dogfighting ring. The dog is thrown out of the back of the building, covered in open, bleeding wounds.
- Book-Ends: Early in the cartoon, the cat is approached by a friendly woman, but runs away. At the end, the same woman approaches the cat again. The kitten, who has learned how to trust, approaches the woman and also introduces her to the pit bull. The cartoon ends with the woman, her boyfriend/husband, the kitten, and the dog all living together.
- Character Development: The kitten recoils from the nice lady in the opening scene, but in the end, after having learned a lesson about trust with the pit bull, the kitten trusts the woman, and is adopted.
- Cute Kitten: The little black kitten is very, very cute. Watch it act tough and stick out its claws when the dog approaches!
- Gentle Giant: Well from the cat's perspective the pit bull is definitely a giant. And the dog is definitely gentle, clearly yearning for someone to love. Apparently the dog isn't even good at dogfighting, given how its abusive master chucks it out the back door.
- Gray Rain of Depression: Just to make things even sadder when the man throws the limp, bleeding pit bull out the back door, it's pouring rain.
- Interspecies Friendship: A cute little kitten makes friends with a gentle pit bull.
- Leitmotif: An ominous bass hum comes on the soundtrack every time the pit bull's owner appears.
- Open the Iris: When the kitten is frightened, its iris pretty much expands to fill its whole eyeball.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: In-Universe. Kitten + pit bull = "Kitbull".
- Silence Is Golden: Like most of the Pixar shorts, there is no dialogue.