Jungle Jitters is a 1938 Merrie Melodies animated cartoon about a dopey, Goofy-esque salesman trying to sell his wares to an African tribe that has a white woman as their queen...and looking to marry the salesman.
The film is infamous for being one of the Censored Eleven (a collection of eleven cartoons that have never aired on American TV or were released on official home media due to extensive black stereotyping).
This cartoon contains examples of:
- Abhorrent Admirer: The queen wanted to have the salesman for a husband. He was so disgusted by her attempt to kiss him that he chose getting eaten instead.
- Alliterative Title: Jungle Jitters.
- Ambiguously Human: The village queen lacks a nose and her face has a sort of bird-like look.
- Asian Speekee Engrish: One of the guards inexplicably has a stereotypical Japanese accent and mannerisms.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The queen greets the audience, and asks their opinion on the salesman's looks.
- Dogface: The salesman. He lacks dogs ears and has human hands though.
- Fate Worse than Death: The salesman is so disgusted at the thought of marrying the queen that he decides he'd rather be eaten by the villagers.
- Love at First Sight: The Queen quickly took a liking to the salesman when he's brought to her.
- Meat-O-Vision: The villagers see the salesman as a giant roast chicken.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The salesman is a parody of Al Pearce's character Elmer Blurt, and there's a brief parody of actor Stephen Fetchit.
- Regret Eating Me: The salesman hopes that he gives the villagers indigestion when they eat him.