Bugs Bunny is, for some reason, adrift in the ocean in a barrel. He happens to wash up on the island of "Bingzi-Bangzi", which has a large population of very anthropomorphic gorillas. A female gorilla finds Bugs as he washes up on shore and immediately adopts him as her baby. Bugs, who sympathizes with a crying woman, plays along. However, her husband "Gruesome" is not at all happy at adopting a rabbit, and tries to get rid of Bugs.
Remade in 1959 as "Apes of Wrath".
- The Cameo: Tarzan comes swinging through the jungle, calling his classic call.
- Gruesome himself appears as a minor boss in the video game Bugs Bunny & Taz in Time Busters.
- Child Hater: Gruesome can't stand babies, which is why he and his wife don't have a child yet.
- Coconut Meets Cranium: A cocoanut falls on Gruesome's head, breaking into a shape that looks just like a football helmet.
- Digital Destruction: The Golden Collection DVD restoration had truly terrible DVNR art erasing throughout many parts of the cartoon. The Platinum Collection DVDs and Blu-ray discs rectified this with a new restoration, thankfully.
- Fiery Redhead: Gruesome has a red tuft of hair on top of his head, and he has the worst temper of all the gorillas.
- Jungles Sound Like Kookaburras: The trilling kookaburra noise, which of course in Real Life would not be heard in any jungle and definitely nowhere near where gorillas live, is heard as the cartoon fades out.
- Killer Gorilla: Gruesome tries hard to murder Bugs.
- Monkey Morality Pose: A drawing of the "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" monkeys can briefly be seen on the wall of the Gruesome household.
- The Not Catch: Gruesome throws Bugs very high in the air, poses to catch him, then scoots out of the way at the last second as Bugs plummets to earth.
- Primal Chest-Pound: Gruesome angrily pounds his chest when Bugs smacks him in the head. Bugs responds to it by mockingly pounding his own chest, which makes Gruesome furious.
- Taxonomic Term Confusion: Bugs tells Mrs. Gruesome that he is species Rodentus rabbitus. Rabbits aren't rodents; rodents are the order Rodentia while rabbits are Lagomorpha.
- Victory by Endurance: Gruesome finally catches Bugs and seems to be about to pound him into a pulp, when he tires and collapses from exhaustion.Bugs: I wore him out!
- Vine Swing: How the gorillas get around. Bugs gets proficient at this by the end of the cartoon.