Goodnight Moon & Other Sleepytime Tales is a 1999 HBO children's special. It's themed around sleep, dreaming, and night-time.
The special features a combination of live-action segments featuring interviews of children talking about their opinions and experiences with sleep, animated renditions of children's books, and animated musical segments. The musical segments include Lauryn Hill's rendition of "Hush Little Baby" and "Twinkle Twinkle" by Patti LaBelle.
It can be found here.
Goodnight Moon & Other Sleepytime Tales provides examples of:
- Animated Adaptation: There are animated adaptations of Goodnight Moon, There's A Nightmare In My Closet, and Tar Beach.
- Bookends: The "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" segment begins the girl falling asleep in her crib. It ends with her going back to sleep once more.
- Bowdlerise: In the book for There's a Nightmare In My Closet, the boy threatens the nightmare with a toy gun. In the special he uses a floppy toy sword instead. The line "Go away monster or I'll shoot you!" was changed to "Go away monster or I'll get you!"
- Dream Sequence: Several, including the adaptation of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" where a girl dreams she's chasing a star in the clouds.
- Dreams of Flying: Tar Beach is about a little girl who dreams of flying above her city.
- Furry Confusion: In Goodnight Moon, the humanoid characters are Funny Animal rabbits who own a pair of kittens. There's also a picture of a normal cow jumping over a moon and a regular mouse.