Future-Worm! is an animated series on Disney XD. It was created by Ryan Quincy, who previously directed another animated series; Out There, for IFC. Originally a series of shorts, the show premiered on August 1, 2016.
Young yet talented inventor Danny Douglas (Andy Milonakis) has just created a time machine in the form of a lunchbox and sent it on a journey through time, and on its maiden voyage, things were going well... until a small mishap occurred! Future scientists discovered this lunchbox — and utilizing its compact size, sent the mysterious Future-Worm (James Adomian) - a worm equipped with a photo-receptor visor, titanium-reinforced abs and a bulletproof beard — back into Danny's time, where he befriends Danny, changing his life forever as the worm dedicates his whole life to ensuring Danny never has a boring day. The series focuses on the bizarre adventures of the two unlikely buddies as they travel into the past, future, and countless other places, often with the help of their friend Bug, (Jessica DiCicco) a young engineer, and sometimes Danny's parents as well.
This show contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Danny Douglas, Doug Douglas.
- Anthropomorphic Food: Steak Starbolt is a sentient piece of steak with a humanoid body.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Robo-Carp. Danny summons him to deal with the problem of the week, but he always ends up exploding.
- Badass Adorable: Danny is as cute as a button, yet he's also a very talented scientist/inventor/time-traveler. Also Future-Worm.
- Brains and Brawn: Danny is the brains, Future-Worm is the brawn.
- Butt-Monkey: Doug Douglas
- Future-Worm: *Hawks loogy and spits* "You know it!"
- Danny: *after seeing Robo-Carp explode* "Weak!"
- Cheerful Child: Danny's friendly and highly optimistic, and never, ever lets anything get him down, most often heartily laughing along with Future-Worm on their adventures.
- Cool Shades: Future-Worm's Photo Receptor Visor.
- Crossover Punchline: In the season finale, Future-Worm and Danny ride on top of the Time Deer and briefly teleport through universes of other Disney XD shows: Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Pickle and Peanut, Wander over Yonder, and Gravity Falls.
- Designated Hero: Steak Starbolt is one In-Universe.
- Epic Fail: Robo-Carp at literally any task.
- Genki Girl: Bug. She's isn't reckless and hyperactive for nothing...
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Future Worm's ego is as big as his heart. He'll do anything for attention, but won't hesitate to help others, especially Danny.
- Made of Explodium: Robo-Carp.
- Manly Gay: Bug's two dads are both muscular and rugged. In their first appearance, they plan to take Danny's parents to a "hardcore night of mayhem" in their monster truck.
- Mega-Microbes: When Danny has a cold, Future-Worm suggests shrinking himself to fight the germ inside Danny. However, Danny wants to help fight the germ, so they enlarge it instead. Unfortunately, the germ turns out to be tougher than they thought.
- No Name Given: The only members of Steak Starbolt's crew to be given real names are Mira Faye and Rhonda.
- Our Time Machine Is Different: The Time Machine Lunchbox.
- Pokémon Speak: The Gloopies communicate by saying the words "gloop" and "Gloopie!"
- Repetitive Name: Doug Douglas.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Doug and Megan. One example is when Danny asked if the optical illusion is a fish or a pig:Both: Fish.
[They both gasped and hold each other's hands.]
Megan: Oh, I love you.
Doug: I love you too. It's meant to be!
[They walk off together, still holding hands.]
- The Nameless: The three brutish kid siblings are never given names, despite them being in multiple episode. The older sister even helps Danny and the others escape from the underground race of lizard-men, but still doesn't get named.
- This Is Something He's Got to Do Himself: Said almost verbatim by one of Bug's dads Smash in "Porthole to the Spider Hole", when she has to face her fear of spiders.
- Time Travel: Seems to be a recurring theme in the series.