Flash Gordon was a 1996 animated TV series loosely based on the comic strip of the same name. In this version, Flash and Dale are teenagers with a fondness for skateboarding — or in this case hoverboarding — who accidentally get trapped on the planet Mongo thanks to their bumbling scientist friend, Dr. Zarkov. There they are thrown headlong into a rebellion against the reptilian dictator, Emperor Ming. But they aren't alone in their fight; they have help from some of the natives including the gallant hawk man, Prince Talon, and the fierce yet honour-driven lionid, Princess Thundar.
- Action Figure File Card: They consisted of the heroes and villains describing each other.
- Alien Invasion: As with previous versions, Ming the Merciless is trying to invade Earth. This is mentioned directly in the first and last episodes.
- Amazon Brigade: With "Prince Thun" being rewritten in this version as "Princess Thundar", her people, the Lionidsnote are also portrayed this way.
- Appease the Volcano God: There were no gods involved, but Dale and Dr. Zarkov were almost thrown into a volcano by some crazy cave people.
- Bare Your Midriff: Flash, Dale and Princess Thundar wear crop tops all the time.
- Brainwashed: Dr. Zarkov suffered this at the hands of Sulpha; the entire team was almost wiped out because of this.
- Cat Girl: Thundar, due to her being a lionid.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dr. Zarkov tends to be this when he's not repeatedly saying that they're all doomed.
- Gender Flip: In this version, Flash's ally Prince Thun of the Lion People became Princess Thundar of the Lionids.
- Green-Skinned Space Babe: Princess Aura in this version, although here, she's more of a "turquoise skinned space babe".
- Hoverboard: Flash, Dale, and even Dr. Zarkov use these to get around Mongo (when they're not using starblazersnote ), coming naturally to Flash and Dale, since it's just like using a skateboard on Earth
- Mythology Gag: The dyna-crystals appear to be a reference to the Dynak-X computer in Defenders of the Earth and its crystal core.
- One-Gender Race: Male lionids are mysteriously absent
- Our Wormholes Are Different: Travel between Earth's solar system and Mongo's is by wormhole.
- Power Crystal: Dyna-crystals are Mongo's main power source.
- Protagonist Title: Flash is the protagonist, and the show is named after him.
- Shout-Out: Flash's real name in this version is Alex, who was probably named after Alex Raymond (the creator of the original comic strip).
"I hate that Earthling!"
- "Vandals from the Void" has a likely unintentional one to Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog when Flash defeats Ming yet again: