A very surreal animated short by Sally Cruikshank (the same animator behind Quasi at the Quackadero). It's about a frog named Max who is enticed by a female frog named Gluey into entering a haunted house. Or something.
This short contains examples of:
- Banister Slide:
- Max and Gluey start doing this at one point, though the stairs disappear and the banister very quickly just becomes a squiggle in space...
- Later on, the lizard sings about this in "Don't Go Into the Basement":Oh, you might think
That it's really cool
To ride down the banister like some darned fool
- The Cameo: As mentioned below, Anita and Snozzi from the Quasi shorts are also passengers on the subway.
- Continuity Nod: Anita from Cruikshank's previous shorts Quasi at the Quackadero and Make Me Psychic makes a cameo at the end of the film.
- Creepy Basement: An entire song is dedicated to how you must never go into it, but we never really find out why. The fact that it apparently has a subway that goes to Hell may have something to do with it, though.
- Creepy Jazz Music: The soundtrack was done by Oingo Boingo, and it adds to the surreal imagery throughout the short. The music is especially jazzy in the number "Don't Go in the Basement", which is sung by a creepy lizard-like creature who seems to be wearing a suit.
- Deranged Animation: Holy balls.
- Eldritch Location: The whole world Max occupies seems to be one.
- The Fashionista: Gluey likes to change her clothes, a lot.
- "I have to change" "Don't change"
- Gainax Ending: And beginning, and middle.
- Going Commando: "And I'm not wearing underwear!"
- Haunted House: The central location of the short.
- Ink-Suit Actor: The lizard who sings "Don't Go in the Basement" sports fiery red hair like Danny Elfman.
- Mind Screw: Duh.
- Ms. Fanservice: Gluey parodies this.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Gluey keeps one as a pet.
- Nothing Is Scarier: The lizard never explains why you shouldn't go into the basement.
- Only in Florida: Apparently, Miami Beach is on the same subway line as Hell.
- Only Sane Man: Max... to a point.
- Punny Name: Played with when it comes to Gluey as after introducing herself to Max he says "I'll stick with you."
- Violation of Common Sense: The short ends with Max being convinced to board a subway with Gluey that is going to Hell... solely because it has a stop at Miami Beach.