Set in 1917 during World War I, France's war HQ has selected Captain Smedley (Porky Pig) to rid the skies of Germany's feared Baron Sam Von Schpamm (Yosemite Sam). The next day, however, Smedley is knocked out by his comrade, Bugs, who takes his place because Smedley has a family. Bugs then flies over the lines and challenges the Baron, who immediately takes to the skies in retaliation. However, the Baron soon finds himself going through his entire supply of planes in his futile attempts to shoot down the wascally wabbit.
Not to be confused with the 1931 Warner Brothers cartoon of the same name, though it is the final classic era cartoon pairing Bugs and Sam.
Tropes appearing in this cartoon:
- Angrish: Or maybe "Angerman", possibly, with Sam ranting in phony German as his initial attempt to stop Bugs results in him crashing into a mountain and plummeting to the ground below.
- Bee Afraid: The "big B" in the flowers, which stings Sam on the nose and incites his anger.
- Berserk Button: Sam being stung on the nose by a bee sent to him by Bugs is what provokes Sam to take action.
- Counting to Three: Sam spots Bugs retreating into a cloud and demands that he come out, threatening to go in after him if he doesn't come out by the time he counts to three. He only reaches "two", however, before crashing into a mountain.
- Decoy Protagonist: At first, it looked like Smedley (Porky) was the one starring in this cartoon. Then Bugs knocks him out to take Porky's place.
- Drawing Straws: The French Air Corps chooses who will go against the Baron by drawing straws from a broom. Smedley picks the last straw, which is ridiculously long.
- Percussive Maintenance: When Sam's first plane refuses to start when he tries to spin the propeller, he becomes impatient and resorts to starting it up by hitting the propeller with a mallet ("When I say contact, I mean contact!"). It works a little too well, as it leaves without him.
- Percussive Prevention: When Smedley is selected for the mission of getting rid of Sam, Bugs knocks him out with a brick to take his place, because he had a family (a wife and 6 piglets).
- Pun: Bugs drops Sam a note, along with a bouquet of flowers. Sam complains that he wrote "Baron" with a lowercase B, but the note has a P.S. saying that he left a "big B" in the flowers. Out of the flowers comes a big bee that stings Sam in the nose.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: The letter variation. Apparently, Bugs knew Sam would complain that he spelled "Baron" with a small 'b', so his note included a P.S saying there was a "big B" in the flowers.
- The Von Trope Family: Sam in this cartoon is known as Baron Sam Von Shpamm.
- Winged Soul Flies Off at Death: The cartoon ends with Sam's soul rising to Heaven, despite wearing a red devil costume, and playing a harp.Bugs: I've always heard of Hell's Angels, but I've never thought I'd see one.