Doctor Snuggles (1979) is an animated television series created by Jeffrey O'Kelly and animated by Topcraft* and De Patie Freleng Enterprises* about a friendly and optimistic inventor named Doctor Snuggles, who has unusual adventures with his friends in a psychedelic world.
Douglas Adams and John Lloyd contributed to the writing of two environmentally-themed episodes. The English-language version of the series featured Peter Ustinov in the title role.
Doctor Snuggles provides examples of:
- All-Natural Gem Polish: Doctor Snuggles got stones already in this state in "The Magical Multi-Coloured Diamond".
- Balloonacy: In "The Sensational Balloon Race", this is how the Doctor's balloon racer flies. He and his assistant blow up several party balloons by mouth which is able to lift their gondola up into the air.
- Cats Are Superior: The Cosmic Cat has mystical powers of sight.
- Comic-Book Adaptation: Produced but limited to distribution in Germany and Sweden
- Creator Provincialism: British stereotypes, such as tea drinking, abound in the series, which appears to be set in a largely idyllic, somewhat psychedelic version of the English countryside.
- Deranged Animation: Talking trees are the least weird things you'll see.
- Easily Forgiven: Kindly Doctor Snuggles is very tolerant of Nobby Mouse's shenanigans. In one episode, Nobby takes Dreamy Boom Boom, the Doctor's homemade rocket ship, without permission, and ends up crashing and destroying it. Doctor Snuggles tells him that it's okay and that they can always make another rocket.
- Evil Sorceror: Professor Emerald. He was a magician and the archenemy of Doctor Snuggles.
- Expy: The Cosmic Cat is oddly reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat.
- Friend to All Living Things: The Doctor, in so many ways. Lampshaded in the opening line of the theme song: "Dr. Snuggles, friend of the animal world". Also Grannie Toots, who runs a cat hospital.
- Funny Animal: Quite a few; Nobby Mouse's antics stand out.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Doctor Snuggles as he builds all kinds of useful inventions such as Dreamy Boom Boom and the robot Matilda Junkbottom
- God Guise: Nobby once used super powers to impersonate an Egyptian god.
- Green Aesop: A few times, e.g. in "The Remarkable Fidgety River", which references water pollution.
- Hong Kong Dub: Apparent in the English dub.
- Kindly Housekeeper: Miss Nettles, an elderly Apron Matron who maintained the titular doctor's abode while he built his inventions.
- Mars Needs Water: In "The Remarkable Fidgety River", a race of aliens are stealing cubes of water from the oceannote and taking them to their home planet. It turns out to be subversion, however, as the aliens meant no harm — they thought the humans didn't want it because it had so much garbage in it. When Snuggles explains that the plants and animals on Earth need the water, the aliens promptly agree to give it back.
- Righteous Rabbit: Benji and Freddy, two rabbits who were friends of Doctor Snuggles and also helped him with his inventions.
- Science Fantasy: Leaning more towards the fantasy element. While there are science elements involving the Doctor and his machinery, there is plenty of magic and fantasy in the setting. We have talking animals, sentient trees and characters wielding magic spells such as Winnie Vinegar Bottle and Professor Emerald.
- The '70s: Easily able to tell from the soundtrack!
- Sliding Scale of Animal Cast: Ranks at 7. While there are only a few major human characters in Doctor Snuggles — the eponymous Doctor, Miss Nettles, and the wicked Professor Erasmus Emerald — many of the show's one-off and recurring characters are human as well. The rest of the regular cast consist of Funny Animals, talking trees, and the Doctor's creations.
- Walking the Earth: Uncle Bill, another friend of the Doctor, is a traveler; he is shown traveling around the world and bringing news to Doctor Snuggles, sometimes leading to the episode's plot.
- Witch Classic: Winnie Vinegar Bottle, one of the Doctor's friends. She plays the trope straight as she wears a witch hat, has a Flying Broomstick, uses magic and lives alone in the Salt and Pepper Mountains.