Doctor Snuggles (1979) is an animated television series created by Jeffrey O'Kelly and animated by Topcraft* and De Patie Freleng Enterprises* about a friendly and optimistic inventor named Doctor Snuggles, who has unusual adventures with his friends in a psychedelic world.
Douglas Adams contributed a couple of episodes. The English-language version of the series featured Peter Ustinov in the title role.
Doctor Snuggles provides examples of:
- All-Natural Gem Polish: Doctor Snuggles got stones already in this state in "The Magical Multi-Coloured Diamond".
- Cats Are Superior: The Cosmic Cat has mystical powers of sight.
- Creator Provincialism: British stereotypes, such as tea drinking, abound in the series, which appears to be set in a largely idyllic, somewhat psychedellic version of the English countryside.
- Deranged Animation: Talking trees are the least weird things you'll see.
- Expy: The Cosmic Cat is oddly reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat.
- Friend to All Living Things: The Doctor, in so many ways. Lampshaded in the opening line of the theme song: "Dr. Snuggles, friend of the animal world". Also Grannie Toots, who runs a cat hospital.
- Funny Animal: Quite a few; Nobby Mouse's antics stand out.
- God Guise: Nobby once used super powers to impersonate an Egyptian god.
- Green Aesop: A few times, e.g. in "The Remarkable Fidgety River", which references water pollution.
- Hong Kong Dub: Apparent in the English dub.
- Mars Needs Water: In "The Remarkable Fidgety River", a race of aliens are stealing cubes of water from the oceannote and taking them to their home planet. It turns out to be subversion, however, as the aliens meant no harm — they thought the humans didn't want it because it had so much garbage in it. When Snuggles explains that the plants and animals on Earth need the water, the aliens promptly agree to give it back.
- The '70s: Easily able to tell from the soundtrack!