DC Showcase: Jonah Hex is a 2010 short animated film, directed by Joaquim Dos Santos and written by noted Western comics writer Joe R. Lansdale, featuring Thomas Jane as disfigured bounty hunter Jonah Hex on the trail of a ruthless brothel madame who has murdered his latest quarry. The film, which was released on July 27, 2010 as a bonus feature on the Batman: Under the Red Hood DVD, was the second of the DC Showcase series and was included on the compilation DVD DC Showcase Original Shorts Collection in an extended version.
This short contains examples of:
- Asshole Victim: Red Doc, the quarry Jonah was initially after, shot a dog for barking at him, openly bragged about his skills, and flat-out told the bartender to his face that he didn't like him.
- Beware the Nice Ones: That nervous bartender pulls out a shotgun to blast at Hex after he takes out Lorraine's men, indicating that he was actually in cahoots with her.
- Big Bad: Madame Lorraine, a prostitute who's also a Serial Killer.
- Bounty Hunter: Jonah Hex, as always. Just so happens that Madam Lorraine killed his latest quarry before he could get to him.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Lorraine seems to take every opportunity to use her sweet side just to try to kill Jonah. In one instance, she even literally tries to stab him in the back.
- Combat Pragmatist: Being a very rough Bounty Hunter, Jonah Hex doesn't play fair and will use any and all advantages he gets in a fight to win.
- Deadpan Snarker: Jonah has his dry wit as per usual.
- Facial Horror: Jonah as per usual with the right side of his absolutely disfigured. Lorraine's burlier mook getting a case of his own when he trips
- Famed in Story: Jonah is immediately recognized as he rides into town.
- Fanservice: Hookers in skimpy clothing abound.
- The Gunfighter Wannabe: The kid who recognizes Jonah tries to brag of his feats, but Jonah just says "Who gives a damn?". This ticks the kid off, who tries to draw his gun but gets knocked out in one punch.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: The Saloon Girl who informs Jonah Hex. She's also an example of Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold, since she's also got blonde hair (in contrast to Madame Lorraine, who's a brunette).
- Hoist by His Own Petard: One of Lorraine's mooks carries an axe when trying to kill Jonah, he doesn't get much use out of it, unlike Jonah whom uses the other end of the axe to smack him on the head several times.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Lorraine has cold light blue eyes and is also a Serial Killer.
- Kavorka Man: The Saloon Girl is in no way disturbed by Hex's partially mutilated face, even giving a friendly peck on the cheek to thank him for his help. Jonah in turn smiles proudly, clearly aware how much he embodies this trope.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: They don't interact but the Saloon Girl and Madame Lorraine. They are also Color-Coded for Your Convenience with the blonde Saloon Girl wearing light blue and the brunette Lorraine wearing red and black.
- Ready for Lovemaking: Madam Lorraine adopts this pose while attempting to seduce Jonah (so she can kill him).
- Red and Black and Evil All Over: Madame Lorraine's color scheme mostly consists of shades of red with a lot of black.
- Signature Headgear: As always, Jonah Hex sports his trademark cowboy hat. He even weaponizes it against Lorraine when she tries to murder him, throwing it to knock her gun away when she was about to shoot him.
- Stupid Evil: Admittedly, it was not a smart move for Rough Cut's thugs to try and shoot a cat in public and onto a busy street.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Trying to kill your enemy at every opportunity? Not entirely smart, but understandable. Trying to kill him while in a small enclosed space that he could easily leave you in if he so chose? Not so much.
- Two Shots from Behind the Bar: The bartender pulls out a lever-action shotgun when Jonah kicks one of Lorraine's mooks out of the room.
- The Vamp: Madame Lorraine, she uses her seductive good looks to catch the eye of men and kill them when given the chance.
- Weaponized Headgear: A mild case where Jonah uses his cowboy hat to throw off Lorraine's aim when she tries to kill him.
- Would Hit a Girl: Jonah with Madame Lorraine. Considering she's a murderer who uses her feminine wiles to her advantage (i.e. distract men so she can kill them), this is understandable.Madame Lorraine: You wouldn't hit a lady?
Jonah Hex: You ain't no lady. *SMACK!*
Madame Lorraine: You hit me!
Jonah Hex: Hard as I could.