Chip an' Dale is a 1947 animated short film (6 minutes) from Disney, directed by Jack Hannah.
Donald Duck is staying in a cabin in the woods. It's winter, there's snow everywhere, and Donald is cold, so he goes out to chop some firewood. He chops down a dead old tree and hauls it back into the cabin to serve as a log for the fire.
Unbeknownst to Donald, the dead tree was the home of squirrels Chip 'n Dale, and also the place where they kept their store of acorns for the winter. The squirrels blow out Donald's fire and attempt to sneak out with the log, but Donald sees them and takes the log back. A war breaks out between the duck and the squirrels.
Third Chip and Dale cartoon, and the first to give the squirrels a name.
- Call-Back: Dale is about to kick Donald when Chip gives him a Dope Slap and pulls him into a more productive tactic. At the end Dale finall gets his chance, and kicks Donald in the rear.
- Dope Slap: Dale is winding up to give Donald a kick when Chip, the more practical one, whacks Dale upside the head. Instead they start dumping snow on the fire from the chimney.
- Early Installment Weirdness: This is the first cartoon to physically differentiate the two squirrels, giving Dale his trademark red nose and buck teeth. He's also drawn slightly taller than Chip and with sleepy eyes. Subsequent cartoons would make the two squirrels the same size and downplay Dale's sleepy eyes.
- Escalating War: Things escalate between Donald and the squirrels until Chip and Dale roll a gigantic snowball into the cabin, which swallows up Donald completely.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Even in the forest in the depths of winter, Donald still doesn't wear pants. Lampshaded when he sticks his butt up against the fire to warm it.
- Human Snowball: Chip throws a small snowball down the hill, and it gets bigger as it rolls down to Donald's cabin. By the time it reaches the front door, it's big enough to bowl Donald over, coming out the back door with Don's butt sticking out.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Poor Donald. He was cold! He didn't even chop down a live tree!
- Literal Ass-Kicking
- Chip does this to Dale when Dale sees Chip waving, and waves back—and fails to realize that the two of them are no longer carrying the log.
- Dale gives a swift kick to Donald's butt at the end, when Donald is stuck in the snowball with only his hindquarters sticking out.
- Name and Name: Chip an' Dale, the cartoon that named the squirrels.
- Off-into-the-Distance Ending: Chip and Dale trotting off to the horizon, with their log in tow.
- Partially Civilized Animal: Chip and Dale run around on all fours and live in a tree trunk eating acorns, but they also display the ability to walk upright as well as a human level of cunning.