As expected, the series (had it ever gotten past the pilot stage) would have been managed and created by DiC, well-known for their numerous cartoon adaptations of popular video games in the 80's and 90's (the pilot itself was animated by Calico Entertainment, of Denver the Last Dinosaur).
It mostly uses the same characters as the game, with a few new ones to take the roles of the villains. The pilot revolves around Virgil Reality inventing a virtual reality helmet that allows one to imagine anything into life. The possibilities about this are never explored.
The pilot was never picked up, but it remains an... interesting cartoon nonetheless. It is available on the PC port of Super Bubsy, a deluxe version of the first Bubsy game.
- Accidental Misnaming: Oblivia keeps calling Bubsy other things. When she finally gets it right, he thanks her.
- Adaptational Jerkass: In the games, Bubsy had a habit of making wisecracks and talking a lot. Here? He's an egotistical douche.
- Art Shift: Three random black-and-white clips of Real Life are included in three scenes. Most of these tie in to scenes where Bubsy is boasting.
- Big Bad: Ally Cassandra, the Fat Bastard cat.
- Big Ball of Violence: While practically everyone attempts to snatch the helmet.
- Captain Obvious: "Yes... things that are boiling are usually hot."
- The Cartoon of the Game
- Catchphrase: "What could possibly go wrong?"
- Cats Are Mean: Bubsy is a Jerkass, and Ally Cassandra is a Fat Bastard.
- The Chew Toy: Arnold and Sid.
- Fat Bastard: Ally Cassandra.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: Sid and Buzz.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Bubsy and his nephew Terry wear a shirt and no pants.
- I Am Not Weasel: Buzz really doesn't take to those who call him a turkey.
- Ironic Echo: "If that's a crime, then book me/us!"
- Jerkass: Unsurprisingly, Bubsy.
- MacGuffin: The helmet.
- Nails On A Chalkboard: Ally Cassandra uses this twice for her own ends.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Sid Rotten Shrew, who actually isn't all that dangerous.
- Overly Long Tongue: Sid has one.
- Punny Name: Virgil Reality.
- Running Gag: See Accidental Misnaming, I Am Not Weasel, and Villainous Glutton.
- Shy Shelled Animal: Arnold the armadillo is depicted as a fearful character with a crippling fear of trucks who becomes terrified at the mere mention of them, possibly due to some form of post-traumatic stress.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Bubsy is really full of himself.
- Stock Footage: Many instances used for comedy.
- Tempting Fate: Bubsy's Catchphrase reeks of this, to the point Arnold calls him out on this.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Bubsy's niece Terri wears eyeshadow and a pink bow and skirt. Bubsy's nephew Terry wears a green and blue shirt and no pants.
- Title Theme Tune
- Totally Radical: As discussed here.
- Villainous Glutton: Sid's Fatal Flaw.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Bubsy's of Tempting Fate reeking Catchphrase.
- Wild West Armadillo: Downplayed. Arnold the armadillo has nightmares about being hit by a truck on a road somewhere in the west (it's sandy, with cacti along the road.) Later, a news anchor mentions that "last year, over 10,000 armadillos were run over by trucks in the state of Texas alone."
- X-Ray Sparks: Happens twice to Arnold, and Bubsy ends up electrocuted the second time.