Bin Chickens is an Australian adult animated TV series revolving around the lives of three Australian white ibises, a bird often called the "bin chicken" after its habit of foraging in garbage bins. The birds—named Derek, Janice, and Clive— offer wry commentary on Australian popular culture and urban life. It is notable for being one of the very few adult animated series ever produced in Australia, and it wears its uniquely Australian charm with pride. Set in Darling Harbor, Sydney, the series cheerfully pokes fun at all manner of topics.
Bin Chickens contains the following tropes:
- Animated Shock Comedy: Follows the mold pretty closely. It does manage to stand out though, mostly because it's the only such show ever made in Australia.
- Eiffel Tower Effect: The show takes place in Sydney, and we get establishing shots of various landmarks in the city.
- Lower-Class Lout: The ibises.
- National Animal Stereotypes: Averted. Despite being a show with Talking Animal characters set in Australia, there's not a single kangaroo, koala, or platypus in sight.
- Once an Episode: Most episodes end with a building being destroyed as a result of the ibis's latest Zany Scheme.