Bernard (known in South Korea as Backkom) is a Spanish-South Korean-French CGI cartoon produced by RC Animation Studios.
Bernard is a polar bear for whom nothing ever seems to go right. He never speaks, but rather he communicates through growly gibberish. Other characters Bernard encountered in his show includes the penguins Lloyd and Eva, and Zack the lizard.
The series ran from 2006 to 2012.
Bernard contains examples of:
- All-CGI Cartoon: The show was made with CGI.
- Butt-Monkey: Bernard. Episodes rarely (if ever) went right for the guy.
- Cactus Cushion: One short had the titular polar bear going skydiving, which eventually led to him flying into a field of cacti. This ended with him slamming into a large cactus, with painful results, which was followed by said cactus falling on top of him for good measure.
- Edible Ammunition: In one episode, some monkeys throw fruit at Bernard. When he retaliates, he finds out it was a distraction so another one could take the food Bernard has.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: Lloyd and Eva are penguins, and show up in the occasional episode.
- Exposed Animal Bellybutton: Bernard is a polar bear whose bellybutton is showing. He has an outie.
- Full-Boar Action: In one episode, Bernard is throwing fruit at the monkeys who took his food. One of them hits a boar, angering it and causing it to chase Bernard.
- One-Word Title: Only One Name-type Protagonist Title.
- Only One Name: Bernard.
- Protagonist Title: The show is called Bernard after its main character Bernard the polar bear.
- Speaking Simlish: Bernard spoke in gibberish that sounded like growling.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Eva the penguin can be differentiated by the ponytail that she has.