Ben 10 Versus the Universe: The Movie is a Made-for-TV Movie based on the Cartoon Network reboot series Ben 10 (2016).
In this film, Ben goes to try and take on Vilgax in space but ends up stranded in the Null Void. As he tries to find a way out, Gwen and Max must team with Kevin to protect the world during his absence.
The film premiered on October 10, 2020.
Tropes for the movie include:
- Adaptational Badass:
- While Alien V isn't as strong as Celestialsapiens were previously (because Ben stopped him from reaching full power), Vilgax fairs much better than any other time Classic Vilgax fought Way Big, which normally resulted in a Curbstomp Battle in the latter's favor. While he still loses, the fight is mostly even and Vilgax even manages to gain the upperhand at one point.
- In a similar vein, Way Big is depicted as far more powerful in this series, with him being treated like a Godzilla Threshold and the one thing about to contend with a Celestialsapien, whereas in the OG series he's just another really big alien that Ben could use.
- Adaptational Early Appearance:
- Goop is the first new alien Ben unlocks during Azmuth's test in the Null Void.
- Vilgax's ultimate form, Alien V, is a Celestialsapien (AKA Alien X).
- Adaptational Heroism: The Incurseans were ruthless conquerors in the old continuity. Here, they function more as an intergalactic police force and jury. They are also quick to help Ben return to Earth once he proves he isn't Vilgax by saving them.
- Adaptational Wimp: Vilgax's ultimate form, Alien V, is shown to be weaker than the Celestialsapiens of the original continuity, not utilizing many Reality Warper powers other than growing bigger. Word of God states that because he was not allowed to reach full power, Alien V is weaker than he potentially could've been.
- Adaptation Origin Connection: Vilgax takes Myaxx's role as Azmuth's assistant before attempting to rule the galaxy with the Omnitrix.
- All Your Powers Combined: The initial form Vilgax takes once he gets the Antitrix carries the aspects and powers of all of Kevin's aliens.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: The relationship between Azmuth and Vilgax, before the latter's ambitions caused him to turn on the former and attempt to use the Omnitrix for evil.
- Behemoth Battle: Vilgax grows to giant size after becoming Alien V, prompting Ben to become Way Big and fight him.
- Big Bad: Vilgax, who has returned from the Null Void to get revenge on Ben.
- Discard and Draw: Kevin loses the Antitrix, but Glitch decides to become Powered Armor for him so he can keep fighting Vilgax.
- Evil Overlooker: The poster above has Vilgax looming over Ben and the Omnitrix aliens.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Glitch gives up his own life to help Kevin in his fight with Vilgax, though Phil says at the end that he may be able to salvage him from his remains.
- Hostile Terraforming: Vilgax uses the Mechamorph powers of Bootleg to assimilate the Earth in the third act.
- I Want My Jetpack: Ben gets an upgrade to his Omni-Kix armor that gives him rocket boosters strong enough to achieve escape velocity from Earth's surface. Azmuth calls it Omni-Orbital Armor.
- Mythology Gag:
- The Incursean Ship is modeled after the Edge of the Galaxy Incarcecon introduced in Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix. Other similarities between this film and Secret of the Omnitrix include Eye Guy making his debut appearance, Ben going into space, Vilgax returning from the Null Void to get revenge on Ben, Tetrax playing an important role, Ben meeting Azmuth, and Ben unlocking Way Big during the final fight with Vilgax.
- The prisoners in the Null Void are all the original aliens from the classic series that didn't make it onto the Omnitrix roster: an Ectonurite, a Pisciss Volann and a Vulpimancer. Ben even calls the Ectonurite a "gross freak".
- In the classic series Kevin gets mutated into a fusion of Ben's aliens. Here, Kevin has his own roster of aliens and it's Vilgax who gets mutated into a fusion of all Kevin's aliens.
- When the Ectonurite Prisoner attempts to steal the watch, the Opticoid Prisoner warns him that he could get trapped inside it, a nod to how Zs'Skayr from the Classic Continuity was trapped inside the original Omnitrix until "Ghostfreaked Out".
- Glitch becomes Powered Armor for Kevin in a way reminiscent of Ship becoming something similar for Julie.
- Before becoming Alien V Vilgax calls himself “the ultimate alien”.
- The Reveal:
- Vilgax was the one who influenced Kevin to build the Antitrix through his dreams, wanting to use it to rule the universe.
- Vilgax was Azmuth's assistant until he attempted to rule the galaxy with the Omnitrix. Azmuth punished him by sealing half of him inside of it.
- The client who Tetrax said hired him throughout his appearances in the series? Azmuth.
- Seen It All: The movie opens with Ben incredibly bored and a little obnoxious about his hero routine becoming predictable.
- Sink or Swim Mentor: Azmuth is convinced by Ben to give him a test to prove he's worthy of the Omnitrix. He's given a timer, that Ben can't read because it's in alien script, and told to reach the other side of a gauntlet in the Null Void with the intent but not explanation that Ben must learn how to do more than just hit the Omnitrix to transform. Through this, Ben learns how to access a previously unknown selection screen of the Omnitrix that allows him to select new aliens by their qualities, using it to transform into Goop.
- Thoroughly Mistaken Identity: In the second act, Ben gets arrested by the Incurseans under the belief that he is Vilgax using the Omnitrix to assume a "weak and pathetic form" to hide behind. Turns out, this was enforced by Azmuth to get Ben in the Null Void so he could get his Omnitrix back.
- Trailers Always Spoil: Trailers before the movie premiere gave away a few big things such as Azmuth, Way Big, and Alien V, among other things.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ben gets it from Grandpa and Gwen at the beginning of the movie for being bored while rescuing them from a hostage situation.