The animated Spin-Off of the 1992 film featuring a St. Bernard as its title character. In the animated series, Beethoven could speak, but only to his fellow canine friends, who were exclusive to the series. Also, there was a Guinea pig named Mr. Huggs who wasn't in the movie.
Tropes found in the cartoon series:
- Berserk Button: Beethoven is sensitive about his weight.
- Fragile Speedster: Sparky is the fastest of the main five but gets beat up by a cat.
- I Am Not Weasel: Mr. Huggs dislikes being called a hamster.
- Identity Amnesia: "A Cat Named Rover", where Rover loses his memory and thinks he's a cat.
- Off-Model: all over the place. But the worst case is with Ryce, who constantly switches from five-fingered hands to the standard four-fingered ones everyone else has.
- Spin-Off: Of the 1992 film based on the Comic Strip
- Talking Animal: In this series, Beethoven could talk to his fellow dogs