It stars Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner, up to their usual antics. In this episode the Coyote starts low-tech, with gambits like simply lying in wait for the Road Runner or sticking out his foot to trip the bird. When that doesn't work the Coyote graduates to more elaborate plans, like an arrow on a serac, a batsuit with a jetpack, iron pellets and a magnet, or a rocket-powered sled. These fail as well, leading to a literally explosive finale.
The only Coyote & Road Runner cartoon to get nominated for an Oscar for Animated Short Film.
- Acme Products: This time, the Coyote acquires an Acme Do-It-Yourself rocket sled kit. The idea is to set the sled on the railroad tracks and use it to catch the Road Runner. Instead the sled sends the Coyote into space.
- Ash Face: The Coyote is covered in cinders after his jet pack explodes (and destroys everything but the framework of the wings). The path of his date with gravity is punctuated by a circling trail of soot.
- Binomium Ridiculus: Hungrii Flea Baggius and Tidbittius Velocitus.
- Cold Opening: The first bit of comic business, in which the Coyote starts in the "on your mark" stance on a cliff-side road before the Road Runner comes up, comes before the opening title. Now in the "get set" stance, the Coyote is hit with the Road Runner's Jump Scare and ends up in mid-air in front of the cliff. When the starting pistol used by the Road Runner goes off, the fall begins.
- Endless Daytime: The only "Coyote & Road Runner" short where this is averted, the sun shown setting towards the end of the cartoon, with Wile E.'s final plan taking place at night.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Signaled by three overhead shots, including the Cold Open in which the Coyote is still in the "get set" stance. He has to notice he's hovering off the edge of a cliff before he falls.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: When the coyote lands into the Portable Hole (see that entry here).
- Jump Scare: In the Cold Open, as the Coyote moves into his "get set" stance.
- Portable Hole: The Coyote waits by a manhole in the road, but the Road Runner stops just as the Coyote whips off the manhole cover. Then the Road Runner picks up the hole and zips away. An outraged Coyote pursues the Road Runner to a bridge. The Road Runner throws down the hole just as the Coyote is about to grab him (in a successful variant of Door Judo). This leaves the Coyote to fall through the hole, to the ground next to the brook.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Taken to the extreme. The Coyote is shot into space by his rocket sled. After he zooms past Sputnik and the Moon, the rocket explodes... and the Coyote has become the constellation Sagittarius. We even hear "Twinkle twinkle little star".