In this Barbie movie of 2009, Barbie takes a class of kindergartners to plant trees in a park and, when one girl is teased for her tree being smaller, tells the story of the Twillerbee Thumbelina and her friends who are waiting for the Twillerbabies to be born from flowers. However, after being accidentally kidnapped, they learn their field will be turned into a factory. Enlisting the help of Makenna, daughter of the people planning to build the factory, they try to stop it and save the Twillerbabies.
Includes examples of:
- An Aesop: Even the smallest things can make a difference.
- Adaptational Nationality: The characters and story were originally from Denmark, in this version it's set in the USA or Canada.
- Green Aesop
- Green Thumb: The Twillerbees have the power to make plants grow.
- Odd Name Out: All other Barbie movies are Barbie as or Barbie in, while this is Barbie presents. It makes sense as this is the only Barbie movie where she did not play the main character.
- The Power of Friendship: Thumbelina explains to Makenna that Twillerbees take friendship very seriously. Learning that Thumbelina considers her a friend leads to Makenna changing her mind about showing her off to Violet, and start taking saving the flower field more seriously.
- Spoiled Brat: Makenna starts out as one, although most of this behaviour comes from wanting to be able to impress her other rich "friends". Thumbelina gets the idea of teaming up with Makenna to save her home when she overhears Makenna's father saying he'll give her anything she wants.