Tori, princess of the kingdom of Meribella, dreams of becoming a popstar and leaving her restrictive lifestyle, while Keira, Tori's idol, has lost her love for songwriting due to her busy schedule. The two decide to switch lives and see if the grass truly is greener on the other side.
This movie contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Both Tori and Keira.
- Cassandra Truth: Amelia didn't believe Keira wasn't Tori.
- Chekhov's Gun: Keira's microphone and Tori's hairbrush help them,capture Cryder.
- The diamonds Tori and Keira put in their necklaces serve as a way to revive the diamond gardenia after Cryder steals it.
- Continuity Nod: Many to the previous Princess and the Pauper-Barbie adaptation. For instance, Keira is an anagram of Erika, and the song "To Be a Princess" shows up as "To Be a Princess/To Be a Popstar".
- Keira and Tori do the Queen of the Waves dance in the "bloopers".
- The Cuckoolander Was Right: While Vanessa is trying to get Keira's attention by barking at a wall, at first, Keira thinks she's crazy, but then it's revealed the "wall" is actually a door to a secret passage which leads out of the castle.
- Damsel in Distress: Invoked by Prince William, averted by Tori and Keira.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The 'Drought' is clearly a stand-in for the recent economic downturn.
- Do Not Call Me "Paul": Seymour Cryder is offended every time someone mentions his first name.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: The concert outfits in the finale performance and all of Keira's outfits.
- Formal Full Array of Cutlery: Keira, while impersonating Tori, is embarrassed when she does not know which spoon to choose to eat ice-cream. Fortunately, Tori's pet dog, of all people, shows Keira the proper one with her paw.note
- Former Child Star: Cryder, and he's quite bitter about it (Due to voice breaking, he had to quit at 14).
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Tori's room is filled with these even though she's 17.
- Hairpin Lockpick: Keira tries it, but...Keira: I don't understand, this always works in movies.
- I Just Want to Be You: The two girls think this of each other, while singing "I wish I had her life."
- I'm Your Biggest Fan: Tori's exact words when she met Keira.
- In Name Only: The "bloopers" actually consist of assorted scenes of the characters dancing, rather than the Hilarious Outtakes one would expect.
- Instant Costume Change: Tori and Keira can change each other's hair and clothes with the former's hairbrush and the latter's microphone, respectively.
- "I Want" Song: "I Wish I Had Her Life". Doubles as a Distant Duet.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Keira.
- Love Triangle: Averted, Liam just asks the girls which one likes him after he finds out. It's Keira.
- Magitek: Keira's Outfit Microphone and Tori's Hairchanging Hairbrush are both programmable.
- Nice Character, Mean Actor: Seymour Cryder acts like a Nice Guy around celebrities, but when he's alone his true colors surface.
- No Song for the Wicked: Played straight with Seymour Cryder, but taken further as Tori and Keira are the only singers in the film.
- Pimped-Out Dress: While every dress worn by Tori and Keira could count, the finale dresses really take it above and beyond.
- Prince and Pauper: Except here, the pauper is also rich and famous, but for different reasons.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Tori's main outfit and wig in the final scene.
- Rebellious Princess: Tori
- Rewatch Bonus: Viewers will know upon later viewings that Vanessa is not being crazy as Keira thought when she repeatedly barks at one of the walls in Tori's room; the "wall" is actually a door leading to a secret passage for Keira to escape.
- Royal "We": Duchess Amelia.
- Running Gag: "There's a camera, and a camera, 'nother camera, it's a camera!"
- Sheltered Aristocrat: It's a shock for Tori when she discovers how many of her compatriots are in financial distress.
- Softer and Slower Cover: Tori's version of Here I Am.
- Talking Animal: Vanessa and Riff, but only when humans are not present. This is lampshaded when Keira discovers the wall Vanessa was barking at turns out to be a secret door to a passageway that leads out of the castle.
- Token Minority: Keira's organizer Nora is Asian (possibly Japanese, as she asks if Keira wants the curtains at one of her concerts to be Royal Purple or Tokyo Violet).
- Unplugged Version: How Tori's cover of "Here I Am" starts off.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Keira is a purple...nette for most of the movie (though she is a natural brunette) and Tori has pink hair in the finale concert.
So come on and let it out
Find out what you're about and just shout
Here I am