A 2007 Direct-to-Video Barbie film that tells the story of a girl lost in a shipwreck and raised by the animals on a tropical island. The girl suffers from amnesia, and the only clue to her past is an item with a fragment of her name, "Ro". When she's grown up, Prince Antonio finds the island, and after Ro saves his life, he offers to take her to his home, and she comes along to find out about her past.
One the way home, the two start to fall in love, but Antonio's father, Peter, arranged a marriage to Luciana, a princess of another kingdom. Unfortunately, that lady's mother, Ariana, is holding a grudge against Peter and his family, and is planning to murder them at the wedding.
Provides examples of:
- All There in the Script: The credits list Ro's mother's name as Marissa, and Antonio's mother is named Danielle. The little bird that appears throughout the film is also called Tiny.
- Amnesiac Hero: Rosella lost her memory upon being shipwrecked.
- Arranged Marriage: But neither the would-be bride or groom are happy about it.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Rita, Gina, and Sofia, Peter and Danielle's young daughters.
- Broken Aesop: A source of conflict in the movie is that Ro and Antonio fall in love and want to marry but can't because Ro isn't of royal blood. Eventually they just say "screw it" and decide to marry anyway, giving the moral that it doesn't matter if two people are from differing social classes, they should be allowed to be together if they're in love. However, at the very end, it's revealed that Ro is the long-lost Princess Rosella of Paladia, meaning that she was royalty all along, which kind of cancels out the intended aesop.
- Covers Always Lie: Well sort of lie here. Ro's fancy dress is topped with her having long hair and wearing a Cool Crown. In the movie, her head is bare and the hair is up◊ in a fancier version of a Prim and Proper Bun. She also doesn't wear the crown at one point in the film.
- Dance of Romance: Played with, as that is when Antonio tells Ro that he loves her, but she says it can't work out.
- Diegetic Switch: "I Need To Know" starts out with Ro singing to the animals in the first verse; from the second verse on, it's from the internal thoughts of Ro and Antonio.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Ro spends most of the movie barefoot and in her jungle dress even whilst staying at Antonio's palace.
- Driven by Envy: Tika hides a note Antonio wrote to Ro, although she's not exactly jealous, just worried that Ro will leave her.
- Easily Forgiven: When Tika confesses she hid Antonios note to sabotage Ros relationship with him, Ro isnt even mad and is quick to forgive her.
- Easy Amnesia: Falling into the sea during a shipwreck and getting washed ashore causes Ro to lose her memory.
- Evil Redhead: Ariana.
- Evil Brit: Ariana.
- Fairytale Wedding Dress: Rosella wears one when she and Antonio marry.
- Frame-Up: Ariana sends her three rats to put sunset herb in the animals' food which puts them into a deep sleep, and accuses Ro of doing it.
- Friend Versus Lover: One-sided example. Tika is not happy with Ros relationship with Antonio, worried shell leave her for him. She hides a letter Antonio wrote to Ro asking her to escape with him, remarking hes not sailing anywhere with my Ro! By the end of the movie, she accepts their relationship.
- Generation Xerox: Rosella's mother helps a bird the same way Ro does when she arrives.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Luciana wears a purple dress.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Ariana.
- Good Princess, Evil Queen: The heroine is, of course, a princess, and several other nice ladies are princesses as well — Luciana, as well as Antonio's younger sisters. The villain, however, is a scheming queen who tries to maneuver her daughter into becoming a Puppet King so she can rule as Regent for Life.
- Heroic Bystander: Tiny the bird sees Ariana poisoning the cake, letting Ro know about the plan.
- Lady of Adventure: Ro is curious and adventurous, unlike most of the ladies Antonio knew.
- Letting Her Hair Down: While Ro's hair falls loose a bit albeit with braids after the ball, she fully lets it down during her wedding with Antonio.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Ariana's Villain Song has extremely morbid lyrics with a fast-paced, cheery tune.
- The Musical: There are 8 original songs in the movie.
- Nubile Savage: Ro is quite well groomed for someone who grew up on an island.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Throughout the movie, Rosella is only referred to as "Ro" upon her memory loss. She learns her full name by the time of the wedding day, which is what reunites her with her mother and reveals she's a princess.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Luciana's accent often shirts from British to the natural Canadian accent of her voice actress.
- Parental Love Song: The lullaby "Right Here in My Arms" has this vibe, but it becomes a full-fledged example when Ro reunites with her mother, her mother singing about her love for her daughter despite their years-long separation.
- Peacock Girl: The peacock tail on Ro's dress is from Azul's own tail feathers.
- Pimped-Out Dress: Loads, given much of the film takes place at a royal court. The standout dress is Ro's blue dress with the peacock tail.
- Platonic Co-Parenting: Sagi and Azul raised Ro as their own, and later took in Tika, as well.
- Princess Classic: Ro, even when she just lives among her animal friends.
- Princesses Prefer Pink: Ro's standout dress is mainly blue, but has a pink overskirt, and the peacock tail is mostly pink. Merchandise also adds a pink Cool Crown.
- Proper Lady: Princess Luciana. Ariana specifically raised her into this to make her ideal bride material, but Antonio prefers an Action Girl.
- Puppet Queen: Ariana's grand scheme includes turning her daughter into this once she ascendes the throne.
- Raised by Wolves: Ro was raised by a red panda and a peacock on an island for a decade.
- Really Royalty Reveal: The moment Ro reveals her full name as "Rosella", she meets her mother, who is a queen, revealing she's a princess.
- Regent for Life: A passing line from Ariana when she's poisoning the wedding cake with Sunset Herb directly implies that she intends to seize control of the kingdom once Luciana is crowned queen.
- Riding into the Sunset: The movie ends with Ro, Antonio and the animals sailing away from the kingdom on ship for their honeymoon.
- Robinsonade: Ro grows up in this setting, but it's a much lighter form of the trope than typical.
- Rule of Glamorous: No reason is given that the green part of Azul's tail feathers turn pink after Ro puts them on her dress (other than parts of the dress are pink). Or how Tika's trunk spray turns into sparkles on the dress.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Sagi is a red panda. Granted, with more recent media such as the Kung Fu Panda franchise and Aggressive Retsuko, there's a good chance these mammals are getting progressively more famous.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Ro can speak with any animal. Ariana takes advantage of this in her scheme.
- Spoiler Title: The title makes it easy to guess Ro is a long-lost princess, which is confirmed near the end of the film.
- True Blue Femininity: Danielle's dress is blue on the overdress (with a pink petticoat), and Ro's standout dress is mostly light blue.
- Vile Villain, Saccharine Show: Queen Ariana plans to murder Antonio and his family, poisons the animals so they'll starve to death in an endless sleep, only had a daughter to serve her own ends, bribes a guard to kill Ro and her friends by knocking them into the ocean, and gained her title through marrying and killing an elderly king with a heart condition. It's also directly implied that she intends to rule the kingdom through her weak willed daughter once she's crowned queen.
- Villain Song: Ariana sings about the scheming and murdering she did to eventually get revenge on the royal family.
- Wham Line:
"Your name is Rosella? I...I had a daughter named Rosella..."
- When Rosella learns her full name, a woman approaches her.
Tika: Ro found her mother.Sagi: And her mother is a queen, which means Ro is...Tika: [gasps] A princess!
- That is eventually followed by this conversation:
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Ariana's parents were banished to a pig farm after a failed attempt to kill the royal family, making pigs a touchy subject for her.
They may be closer than we know
When we have love to guide us as we go