Yu-Gi-Oh! GX has spawned some of the most Abridged Series out of all anime series, apart from Death Note. DarkSideIncorporated's original account was terminated by Nihon Ad Systems (and have now moved to "DarkSideCorporated"), and some of RaymsCreator's episodes have been blocked by 4Kids Entertainment.
The DarkSideIncorporated version (by ShadyVox and XTheDarkOne) provides examples of:
- Adaptational Heroism: Chazz, who is more of an Only Sane Man and Friendly Enemy here instead of a Jerkass.
- Angrish: Jaden slips into this when Bastion throws a brick at his face.
- Ambiguously Bi: Arguably, Syrus. He frequently has sex with Alexis, but see Ambiguously Gay below.
- Ambiguously Gay: Syrus.Syrus: There are fanboys in there!Jaden: I know! And they're all for you!Syrus: Really? Oh, hell, I'm coming!
- Berserk Button: Jaden + marijuana - Cheetos = RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: In Episode 1 of the Ask Alexis Q&A series, one of the questions is "What is Syrus' appeal?" Among the points that Alexis brings up, the last (and, in her opinion, most important) one is that he has a massive penis.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick:"Here you go kids, I made you some rice balls. You got three flavors: strawberry, chocolate and antifreeze. Now dig in!"
- In Ask Alexis Episode 1, someone asks Alexis about what exactly is appealing about Syrus (whom she's dating), and she lists, in order, his fluffy and spiky mane of blue hair, his cute glasses that are disproportionately tiny for his eyes, and his massive penis (which she admits is probably his main appeal).
- Brick Joke: People saying "I never knew he could do that" after watching Bastion teleport. First used thrice in episode 17, then Luffy says it in episode 19.
Jaden: Oh my God, not again!
- The Dog from episode 1 makes a comeback about 10 episodes later.
- Buried Alive: Played for Laughs with Tory.
- Butt-Monkey: Syrus and Jaden (see Chew Toy).
- Call-Back: Syrus comments that stealing mail is fun in episode eight, which he did in episode three.
- Call-Forward: "Yesterday it was tennis, today is a duel giant, TOMORROW IT'S TARZAN!"
- Captain Obvious: Syrus, lampshaded by Jaden.Jaden: Syrus, we can play "State the Obvious" later!Jaden: Once again, thank you, Captain Obvious.
- Reaction shot!
- Sucks to be you. (Zane)
- (Really?) F*** no!! (Crowler)
- Douchebag(s)! (Chazz)
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Alexis. She can be smart sometimes... and other times really really not.
- Chew Toy: For constant emotional trauma, Syrus. For constant physical torment, Jaden (At least once an episode something or someone will cause him grievous bodily harm... and he's broken his coccyx more than once)
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: During Wheeler the monkey's training to be a Duelist, every time it made a mistake, Miley Cyrus music gets blasted in his ears. Alexis wants in on this training.
- Contractual Immortality: [invoked] Unfortunately for Jaden, everyone is smart enough to know he can't die. Hence nearly every single character has mortally wounded him at some point... including an off-screen dog who did something unspeakable to his legs and ate his liver.Jaden: I'm the main character, I can't be harmed.Syrus: Oh really? (cocks gun)Jaden: Uh, guns are my only weakness!
- Cosplay Otaku Boy: Syrus says he likes cosplay, much to Jaden's displeasure.
- Creepy Uncle: Jaden apparently had one of these.Bastion: Your uncle sounds...odd.Jaden: Actually, my dad said we're not supposed to call him "uncle" anymore.
- Crossover: With Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series for Yu-Gi-Oh!: Bonds Beyond Time.
- Dissimile: About half of everything Harrington says.
- The Ditz: Alexis in particular stands out from all the others.
- Drinking Game: "Nuts on the Table". It's just as painful as it sounds.
- Dumb Blonde/Brainless Beauty: Alexis, oh so much.
- Expy: Chazz is basically Seto Kaiba from the original series. Then again, he's too rich to be an expy.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While more of a Jerkass than evil, even Jaden who constantly rags on Syrus and acts more like a dick to him than a friend admits that Zane was too much of a dick to Syrus when they were younger.
- Gone Horribly Right: "OMG! We tried resurrecting Jinzo, and we did!"
- Groin Attack: Nuts on the table.
- Heh Heh, You Said "X": Heh, heh, you said "pump action".
Jaden: Wow, talk about bestiality! ...Heh heh.
- Bob, this is not the time or the place!
- Another example from the same episode, when Wheeler the monkey changes all its monsters to Beast types:
- Heroic BSoD: Jaden was very much hoping Wheeler the monkey's deck would not be monkey-themed. Boy was he wrong. Also happens when Bastion disables Jaden's ability to Fusion Summon during the school Duel.
- Ho Yay: With all the ways Jaden describes his relationship with Chazz, his "eternal rival", you'd think someone would bring this up. But the real reason he wants to look for him is just to have a pretext to skip class.
- Syrus has a restraining order out against Jaden who tends to violate his personal space in very unwanted ways. Jaden does ask Syrus if he'd be uncomfortable if Jaden kisses him.
- I Banged Your Mom: During Jaden's and Dmitri's duel.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: Jaden. "Don't you dare try to run away from me, Syrus, you can't win! I've been playing Sonic all day." Accompanied immediately thereafter by sound effects from the games.
- Jaden is also able to jump rooftops due to all his time playing Assassin's Creed.
- Interspecies Romance: Prof Banner and his partner, Pharaoh, aren't in a relationship. He was just joking.
- Jerkass: Jaden. And Zane.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Harrington, when Jaden says that having a deck of just what you love (Tennis in Harrington's case), is stupid. Harrington points out that he did the same thing with Super Heroes. Jaden then asks what the card he played does.
- Larynx Dissonance: All the regular females, particularly Alexis. Averted in episode 17 with Blair, Maiden in Love and Burstinatrix, all of whom were voiced by LadyNanakiXIII
- Vocal Dissonance: Also in general, this is apparent in the "In The Booth" videos. ShadyVox is the tall skinny guy while xTheDarkOne is the fat glasses guy. Guess who voices the high-pitched characters.note
- Left the Background Music On: Jaden uses "Flawless (Go to the City)" by George Michael in his first duel. It is lampshaded and becomes a Leitmotif in later episodes.
- Literal-Minded: When Chazz arrives at North Academy, he is told that he needs a deck and that the area is riddled with cards in the ice. Chazz assumes this to mean he's supposed to build his deck by collecting cards from the ice...only to find out after two weeks that the cards were there as a metaphor for dueling history and that he could have gone in at any time. "Tim" is astonished and lets Chazz in for medical attention, especially after finding out the latter was sustaining himself off rock salt.
- Made of Explodium: All duels somehow end with an explosion. Also lampshaded.
- Mistaken for Gay: Blair.
- Most Common Card Game:
- Noodle Incident: Jaden does a real Motor Mouth one.Jaden: Oh, you watch me. I'll get this guy faster than the time I was invited to Crowler's birthday party and everyone got absolutely... ...made things worse and it was rumored that Chazz and Bastion had a gay relationship and no one believed it because... ...and Syrus was convinced that he was pregnant and then he made us go to the emergency room where—
- Noodle Implements: After Yugi's deck is stolen, Jaden says they'd need an armadillo, a chess piece, and a car. The armadillo was later seen wandering the blue dorm, and Bastion believes they're not welcome there anymore.
- No Periods, Period: The story of Alexis' first period... in class.
- Off-Model / Conspicuously Light Patch:Cue monkey. Hilarity Ensues.
- Or Are You Just Happy to See Me?: Inverted and subverted in Episode 13Alexis: Is that an erection in your pocket or are you just a tennis ball?
- Overly Long Gag: Bob's, um, Susan's phone call.
- Tory falling through their glass doors.
- Jaden "discussing" with Winged Kuriboh about what to do against Blair. It's hilarious.
- Parrot Exposition: In episode 15 with the words "Stake out".
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Syrus, in episode 9, when he raps.
- Running Gag: Numerous, including...
Jaden: Ow! My coccyx!
- Reaction shot!
- Meanwhile, back at the toolshed. (+1 watermelon)
- Subverted when the announcer tries to say, "Meanwhile, at Duel Acadetoolshed"! His attempt to get a watermelon failed.
- That's the last time we take directions from a blind guy!
- Also Jaden experiencing grievous bodily harm (usually inflicted by the other characters) off-screen. E.g.:
Crowler: And that was the last time I ever got hit by a ball. (Gets smacked in the eye with a tennis ball) Oh God, not again!
- Crowler getting hit in the face with balls.
- "Someone take my beans?" during meals at the Slifer dorm/toolshed.
- "Oh no he didn't~!!"
- ''Lengthily explanation interrupted by: "Yeah, that's great, nobody cares. (Insert random comment)"
- Samus Is a Girl: Played straight with Blair.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Chazz.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Jaden tries to surrender both his Winged Kuriboh card and quit the Academy because of how insane it all is, but by trying to quit he accidentally reforms the villain of the week and he gives up on trying to leave.
Syrus: Jaden, do we really have to do this?Jaden: Yes, yes we do because that's what friends do.
- Time's up, ready guys? Let's do this! CHAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PRIIIIIIIIIIINCETON!!
- It doesn't work nearly as well as when Syrus tries it.
- And Jaden got cut off before he could finish his.
- Probably unintentional but in Episode 6 'Taggin' Tactics' we have this exchange.
- Time's up, ready guys? Let's do this! CHAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ PRIIIIIIIIIIINCETON!!
- Stuff Blowing Up: Alexis blows up Duel Academy with a nuke during an argument with Syrus.
- Strange Minds Think Alike
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: The Paradox Brothers are really out of practice at first. They get better.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: "Syrus, sit down! And I definitely did not put a whoopee cushion there."
- Synchro-Vox: "Tennis (close-up to Jaden's mouth) suuuuucks."
- Take That!:Jaden: That's right! That Millenium Item is as fake as all the other Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Abridged Series! Everybody knows that mine is the best!
- And, of course, LittleKuriboh's and Shady Vox's fans get a Take That! too.Jaden: I gotta comment. "First." Yes! I am awesome... I'm gonna ask him when the next one's going to be.
- Episode 16's stinger has a subtle one in which the students complain about how lame Dmitri is for copying people and then claim next people are going to pretend to be Jaden and Syrus. Such people are sad bastards that only do it to get popular.
- And, of course, LittleKuriboh's and Shady Vox's fans get a Take That! too.
- The Thing That Would Not Leave: Jaden sees Winged Kuriboh as this. He's tried selling it, he's tried trading it, he's tried sending it to Australia. It's like Droopy; it always comes back.
- The Unintelligible: Chumley. He has been shown to speak perfect English on a few occasions.
- Jaden subverts this by interpreting one of Chumley's grunts in incredible detail.
- Chumley finally starts talking while dueling his father - and he is not pleased. But it's never mentioned again anyway.
- Winged Kuriboh. Jaden can also understand him, though.
- Unwanted Assistance: Winged Kuriboh in Episode 14.
- Vocal Evolution: Whilst ShadyVox and TheDarkOne have always been consistently good in the earlier episodes, the audio quality improved over the episodes. The higher quality professional setup probably helped too.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Chumley and his father.
- Weirdness Magnet: the Duel Academy. hilariously lampshaded by Jaden in episode 14.
- Jaden: Seriously, why does this crap always happen here! Yesterday it was tennis! Today it's a Duel Giant! Tomorrow it's TARZAN! THIS PLACE IS CRAZY!
- Your Other Left: Bastion has to tell Jaden which way to look.Bastion: There's a duel going on. On your left is Dimitri.
Jaden: (looks right) Ooooh.
Bastion: No, no, Jaden. Your other left.
Jaden: (looks left) Ooooh.
Bastion: And he's dueling Syrus.
Jaden: I see.
Bastion: ...He's on the right.
Jaden: (looks right) Ooooh. Gotcha.
- Would Not Hit a Girl:Blair: You wouldn't hit a girl, would you?
Jaden: Of course not.
Blair: Good, because that would make you a big-
Jaden: I burn the living crap out of them. (cue fire attack)
The Sephirex version provides examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: Alexis' duel with Titan, and her later duel in a Filler episode with Pierre are combined into one episode.
- Berserk Button: Do not steal Alexis's Lucky Charms. And don't try to force her into a relationship without her consent, or she will hurt you. Badly.
- Catchphrase: "It's time to cheat!"
- Crossover: After being defeated by jaden, that guy from youtube decided to quit, meanwhile Sephirex warns ZionKraze about the flaggers.
- Emo Kid:
Chazz."I'm not emo, it's just my card!"
- Gag Sub: In Episode 11, when the subtitles counted the days of Jaden and his friends' travels, eventually they read, "The Day I Stopped Caring What Day It was!"
- Hide Your Lesbians: 4Kids Lesbo Alarm!
- No Fair Cheating: So. Totally. Averted. Of course, concerning who Jaden actually is, it makes perfect sense.
- Phrase Catcher: Dimitri - and he even did it wrong, too: "Turn your game on!"
- Precision F-Strike: Holy s***! Did Yubel say f***?
- Reality Ensues:
- As a thousands-year old corpse, of course Abidos is going to smell awful.
- Getting hit with radiation to turn into the Hulk? Awesome. The severe radiation poisoning? Not so much.
- No, trying to destroy all of card games to reclaim your youth will not get you off easy. After Jaden beats Kagemaru, the Duel Police beat him up. Also, since it was revealed that you can just bet all of the Spirit Keys at once in a single duel, and that loss is sufficient to unlock the seal for the Sacred Beasts, it means that there's less of a reason to not destroy them, and Chancellor Shepherd lets Jaden throw the keys into the active volcano.
- Reference Overdosed
- Running Gag: Dr. Banner is apparently really the other Dr. Banner.
- The elemental heroes are power rangers.
- Crowler's Super Smelly tokens.
- Most of the main elemental heroes are references to the characters they are based on, execpt for Clayman who is Clay Aiken.
- V-Tiger Jet is Tigatron while the VWXYZ dragon catapult cannon is a megazord. Flame Wingman was also referred to a megazord but this joke was promptly dropped in favor of "Elemental Hero Manwoman".
- Jaden's finishing move phrases which he says very, very fast.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Subverted.Jaden: Okay, the longer they rhyme and argue, the more time I have to set up my deck and cheat.
- Take That!:
- "Man, these guys are worse than K-Fed!" / "Alright, Jaden, let's knock 'em dead!"
- "Who watches Chaotic?" This tends to happen a lot when another show's name appears on-screen, starting in episode 2, "Seriously, who the hell watches D.I.C.E.?"
- Theme Tune Cameo: Jaden's ringtone in episode 2 is The Legend of Zelda theme. At the end of Season 1, he and everyone start singing the original dub theme tune.
- The Unintelligible: Bastion (even in his head) and Winged Kuriboh.
- Too Dumb to Live:
- TWICE, Brier has a card that says "If you play this card you win" in his hand and he doesn't play it.
- Not to mention a Chuck Norris card the first time around.
- Wall of Text: Bastion's description of Chaos Emperor Dragon - Envoy of Chuck Norris.
- Who Writes This Crap?!: "You know it's times like these where it would make more sense to go over there and punch him in the face"
- "I Swear when I get a hold of the writing staff I'm gonna kill them for this."
- "Hey lady why you so darn big?" "Moo!(Blame the character desginer)" "Wow for once I can't blame 4kids!"
- "I play fairy doll wing, therefore making winged kuriboh level 10, giving it retarded dragon-like armor" "What the F**K?"