h3h3Productions is a YouTube comedy channel run by husband-and-wife team Ethan and Hila Klein. The channel has a free-form format, but Ethan often makes Reaction Videos for outrageous and meme-worthy YouTube videos. Rather than taping his face as he watches each video, however, he instead displays highlighted clips from the videos and discusses them. Occasionally, the pair performs skits based around the video at hand. Ethan and Hila continuously revisit the funniest aspects of the videos they highlight, creating a sense of continuity.
Their former side-channel Ethan and Hila had a more vlog-like format which has since been merged into the main channel.
h3h3productions provides examples of:
- Adam Westing: PewDiePie's appearance in "My Epic Collab With PewDiePie!!" portrays him as a big-shot YouTuber who couldn't care less about Ethan note .
- Clickbait Gag: The video "Why Is this Video on the TRENDING Tab???" accuses YouTube of encouraging the use of sensational titles over actual content, specifically by taking apart a fake prank video that trended. It even includes a black-and-white, slow-motion sequence where Ethan tries to resist clicking on the video, but since it says "MUST WATCH," he physically has to click the link.
- Comically Missing the Point: Jimmie "The Jersey Outlaw", a.k.a., "One Fucked Up Dentist", doesn't realize how terrible his comedy is and enjoys Ethan and Hila's reactions, to the point where Jimmie hung out with Ethan one day, and later made a part 3 to the dentist series at his request.
- Cringe Comedy:
- The main style behind the show: Ethan and Hila watch some of the most uncomfortable videos found on the internet and give their thoughts, often repeating verbatim the content of the videos they are lampooning.
- "My Epic Collab With PewDiePie!!" is basically designed to make viewers feel uncomfortable... at least until Ethan's last suggestion, which is implied to be his revenge against (Adam Westing) PewDiePie.
- Critical Research Failure: In-Universe. When the lyrics "England is my city" come up in "It's Everyday Bro", England is then brought up on Google with the word country underlined in bright red.
- N-Word Privileges: Ethan frequently makes anti-Semitic jokes, which would be insensitive if it wasn't for the fact that Ethan and his entire family are Jewish.
- One Steve Limit: On one hand we have Ethan Klein, host of the show. On the other, we have Ethan Bradberry of Moe and ET, a prankster duo and very common subject of ridicule to the show and its fanbase due to their content.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Ethan is really silly and in your face (red), while Hila is much more subdued (blue).
- Running Gag: Being that the show revolves around memes and happens to create some of their own, they have accumulated many running gags.
- Whenever Logan Paul or his brother is involved, Ethan will often bring up Logan's "Naw ah'm a strawberreh".
- Every time iDubbz comes around to film a video, Ethan's front door is broken and he has to get into the house in some stupid way.
- Ethan's coughing. It was partially candid, but he would exaggerate it for comedic effect.
- Sanity Slippage: Subverted at the end of "Ethan Joins a 90s Boy Band": Ethan seemingly goes insane while finally realizing how ungodly stupid his dream of creating a B4-4-style boy band really is.
- Sensory Abuse: The slamming Bradberry video where the audio of the episode is boosted when the Bradberries are screaming "Slammin'" at the top of their lungs.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: In "Jews Did 9/11 PROVEN", Ethan makes fun of the subject video's decision to play upbeat trance music over footage of the planes hitting the World Trade Center.
- Spotting the Thread: When Wall Street Journal's attack articles on "racist" YouTubers came out, Ethan spotted that they were faking ads they "found" in an attempt to get advertisers to pull out of YouTube (which worked so well people experienced financial setbacks). He noted that no video with the N-word in the title would ever get ads on it.
- The Stoner: Ethan's "Vape Nation" persona who is a hardcore marijuana (and vape) enthusiast.
- Stop Being Stereotypical: One of the biggest criticisms Ethan has in the "How to Clean Your Gamer Gear" reaction video is how the Dust-Off infomercial paints gamers as unhygienic nerds who spout Totally Radical lingo and are too stupid to know how to clean a keyboard with compressed air.Spokesman: You're not gonna get there if your gear's all crapped-up with 'gamer-gunk'; dust, chip dip, greasy sticky slimy game residue!
Ethan: Oh your keyboard isn't fucking full of chip dip and covered in splooge? Oh, then you're not a real gamer!
[cut to Ethan messily devouring Doritos and dip over a keyboard.]
Ethan: I'm a real gamer!
- Stunned Silence: Ethan, when, as according to the obvious outcome Hila's predicts about a target in a "Butt Baby Syringe" video, the man places the target on the baby doll's butt and throws syringes at it.
- Verbal Tic: Aside from Ethan's coughing, he has a tendency to begin or punctuate sentences with the word "dude."
- Wow, Ethan! Great moves! Keep it up, proud of you!