VoxMakers is a French website featuring the eponymous team of videomakers, in a similar fashion to That Guy with the Glasses, founded by Thomas Cyrix and the Ermite Moderne. Their videos include, among others, reviews, Let's Plays, Vlogs, comedy skits, musical compositions, and original creations, and cover topics related to pop culture, geek culture, and entertainment medias.
Most videos are hosted on their Youtube channel, but each also comes with a bonus video only available on the official website. Some videos are also exclusive to the website Wakanim.tv, due to a partnership with said website. Finally, some of the older videos are only available on the now retired Dailymotion channel.
In 2014, VoxMakers opened four new channels named VoxGamers (dedicated to videogames), VoxMotion (dedicated to movies and series), VoxNakama (dedicated to Japanese culture) and VoxMusic (dedicated to music), of which the purpose was to welcome new videomakers. However, the four channel were soon merged into a single one, named VoxMakersPlus, used for the trial period of new VoxMakers members.
In August 2015, the VoxMakers website launched a new section called VoxPlumes, dedicated to writing. Said section has since then grown to host dozens and dozens of short written stories and one-shot comics, with new ones being added every few days. All creations by VoxPlumes members are listed here, and a dedicated (though incomplete) blog page was launched in August 2016.
On October 30th of 2017, it was announced that the site would shut down, as the different team members wanted to pursue their respective career goals and/or focus on individual projects. Some members left their videos up on the VoxMakers YouTube channel, while others had them moved to their own personal channels.
For a list of VoxMakers contributors, see the characters subpage.
VoxMakers shows with their own pages:
VoxMakers videos provide examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: People seem to have a hard time figuring out that Shindehai is a boy. It doesn't help that there are quite a few pictures of him in girl's clothes.
- Animate Inanimate Object: The concept behind ÇaDéconne Valley is that the main character is able to give life to inanimate objects thanks to a device he "borrowed".
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Mad Dog met Death, Life, Fate, Love, Hope, Religion, Wealth, Family and Booze-Up.
- Big "NO!": JStylesMan's reaction to the existence of a watch who tells people how much time they have left to live.
- Cut Short: Le Débile Challenge ended abruptly due to Noru-Da not finding any enjoyment with the series anymore, mostly because the rules (which were inspired by the Nuzlocke Challenge rules) were too cruel for his taste.
- Disproportionate Retribution:
David: "The rain annoys you? Kill a guy! Your job annoys you? Kill a guy! Your girlfriend annoys you? Kill your girlfriend! ...Or kill a guy, if you're a pussy."
- David likes to kill people whenever he is in a bad mood.
- The Ermite Moderne killed Noru-Da for not knowing who Family Kid was. Even though he probably didn't know himself.
- Don't Fear the Reaper: In Mad Dog's videos, Death is a really nice and lovely lady. On the other hand, Life Isn't Fair.
- Evil Twin: Mad Dog made a video on the subject, in which he complained that Noru-Da, his own evil twin (a fact that is probably not Canon), sucked at being evil. They figure out in the end that Mad Dog is the evil twin.
- Eye Scream: When watching Disaster Movie, Alert Spoiler had such trouble believing what he saw, he took out his own eyes and tried to repair them with his sonic screwdriver.
- Malicious Misnaming: Many fans loved to tick off JStylesMan by calling his show "Top Insoute" instead of "Top Insolite", due to the proximity of the L and the I in the logo making it look a U. He actually addressed it in episode 3.
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: Apparently, everytime you use an outdated joke, a planet blows up. The Ermite Moderne learns it the hard way after joking about Zinedine Zidane's infamous headbutt during the 2006 World Cup.
- Never Heard That One Before: The Ermite Moderne regards the "Were these games designers taking drugs or what?" joke as an old, tired and unfunny joke.
- Orphaned Series:
- Culturisons-nous never went pas its first episode, despite the fact that it ended with the name of the next episode.
- Erwan & Maël will also probably never see the release of its third episode.
- Noru-Da left the team (and videomaking altogether) shortly after the first (and last) episode of Qui est ce Pokémon ?.
- Similarly, Godefroy left the team, leaving Des Pads & des Lettres with only two episodes, including the pilot.
- Shout-Out: The Alert Spoiler intro is a clear shout-out to the 2005 Doctor Who intro. Not to mention the fact that the main character of said series has a TARDIS and a sonic screwdriver.
- The Sociopath: David. Dear Lord, David. His favourite hobby is to kill and torture people, he does not understand the concept of socializing, or even the fact that murder is a bad thing, and his podcasts are not very good.
- Swapped Roles: During the 2015 April Fools video, the VoxMakers swapped roles with each other.
"Nooo! Stop saying that in Pulp Fiction, Alan Moore could have used the power of the Ring to defeat the Sith army! He's a Muggle! So SHUT UP! I mean come on, it's the best Tim Burton movie."
- Mad-Dog made an Epic Pixel Battle in which Chewbacca rapped against Link. The lyrics were riveting.
- Ermite Moderne took over Tai Reflections, and only accepted bland and easy challenges, as he was only interested in quickly making a million views.
- Neku took over the book-reviewing show Des Pads & Des Lettres. His subject ? The user manual for a sound-recording software. Even the cameraman tried to flee from the boredom.
- 100Pseudo was tasked with reviewing Oretama in lieu of Ermite Moderne. It left him feeling dirty inside.
- 123Lunatic made a series similar to Rémi le Radis, named Luigi l'Amiibo. Cue "What am I doing with my life?".
- Mickael J took over Les aventures musicales, and talked about people posting online videos of them singing even though their singing is awful... before realizing that the clip he was showcasing was of himself.
- Godefroy delivered an impersonation of Cyrix and his German counterpart Hans. Probably the most straight-forward of the bunch, though he clearly lacks both the energy and the German accent of Cyrix.
- Noru-Da took over the movie-reviewing show Moment Critique. However, because he used all of his money to buy amiibo figurines, he couldn't afford to see the movie he was supposed to review anymore.
- Shindehai delivered an hilarious impersonation of Mickael J :
- Top Ten List: Most members have made a Top 10 or Top 5 list at some point.
VoxPlumes stories provide examples of :
- Long Title : Des difficultés susceptibles darriver à votre machine à remonter le temps si elle est plus petite à lintérieur quà lextérieur Translation .