Created in 1999 by a college student named Aaron Peckham, the Urban Dictionary combines "anyone can add information" with a dictionary. It has currently recorded over four million words and phrases, mostly slang or slang usage. New words, definitions, and examples are submitted and then approved by the votes of both users and visitors. After that, the new additions are displayed for the world to see, forever.
Many of the terms defined are derogatory or describe (likely fictional) sexual acts, so The Urban Dictionary is not exactly something a child should browse through unsupervised. It also gives personal opinions by contributors on certain subjects (bands, movies, books...), with contributors rarely considering the opinions of others. It can be useful for finding out how an unknown term is used, but don't trust it blindly; a significant fraction of the definitions are made up by the person contributing them.
Urban Dictionary offers a Word of the Day on its mainpage. For a long time, they allowed users to rate from the mainpage, resulting in large numbers of negative votes. This option was eventually disabled, largely preventing this.
- Accidental Pun: An eigenpun.
- Author Tract: As mentioned by the second page quote, most of the definitions tend to be personal opinions of the contributor.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs: The 2nd definition for the word goose as of writing is "A ram is a ram, a donkey is an ass, and a ram in the ass is a goose".
- Comic Sutra: Almost every term will have at least one sexual definition, often one that's unlikely to exist outside the contributor's imagination.
- Does Not Like Men: Look up "man" and "misandry". The same person who wrote the definitions posted them over and over again.
- Fan Boy: Some celebrities have incredibly favorable definitions, which generally talk about how talented and beautiful they are.
- Greeting Gesture Confusion: This is referred to as a braux pas.
- He-Man Woman Hater:
- Hollywood Atheist: Looking at the definitions for "atheism," some contributors are this. Also see definitions for "religion," "the bible," "God," etc..
- Improbably Low IQ: The most popular definition for "1" is "The IQ of President George Bush."
- Internet Jerk: Letting the Internet at large define (and often make up out of whole cloth) often sexual and offensive slang terms makes this a Foregone Conclusion.
- Logical Fallacies: Oh boy... to name just one blatant example the second-highest rated comment for "Slut-Shaming" insists that nobody who understands "true feminism" would have a problem with insulting promiscious women and any feminist who disagrees is a "RadicalNeo-feminist". Plenty more examples though.
- Luck-Based Mission: Up until 2021, every definition you write goes through a reviewal process that asks users if this should be on the site or not. It's a 50-50 chance that your new definition will appear on the site.
- Not Safe for Work: It's a user-driven slang compendium. What did you expect? Sunshine and rainbows?
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: As noted, many of the terms are made up.
- Pet the Dog: With a combination of Everyone Has Standards, their definitions for the word "suicide" are surprisingly sensitive and anyone who tries to make an incendiary definition gets immediately downvoted.
- Popularity Power: When there's more than one definition of a given word published, they're sorted according to the ratio of up to down votes, with the top def being the one with the largest positive ratio of up votes to down votes (for example: [x word]: (top) def 1 (3up:1down), def 2 (2up:1down), def 3 (0up, 3 down)).
- Punny Name: Looking up "jack shit" will give you a Hurricane of Puns "genealogy" of Jack Schitt and his extended family, starting with his mother and father (Awe Schitt and O. Schitt).
- Schmuck Bait: The "look up any word, like X" above the search bar sometimes recommends searching for "sex". If you do, the top entry insults you.
- Self-Deprecation: The most popular definition of "Urban Dictionary" as shown on top of this page.
- Single-Issue Wonk: For a while on and in the days following Inauguration Day in January 2017, the daily definitions mostly consisted of Trump-related Take That! entries (plus "alternative facts", which is a meme/Take That! to political truth distortion in general).
- Sophisticated as Hell: A great many of the definitions are written this way.
- Take That!: Many definitions are this.
- Take That, Audience!:"What you are doing right now. Get the fuck going and finish your homework."
- Toilet Humour: If it isn't sexual humor it's often this.
- Unreliable Narrator: Most of the definitions are way biased, or even entirely made up.