In 2007, RuneScape user ChiaFriend12 created a wiki for Fan Fiction for the massively-multiplayer online role playing game Runescape. The site soon developed a small, if devoted number of users who created, amongst "fake items" and custom-made quests, a series of stories within an interconnected universe. The largest of these was the Runiverse, a world where, amongst other things, Time Lords walk side by side with Xenomorphs and actual canon RuneScape characters.
These users eventually left the site, but ever since the site has continued to be dutifully staffed by a small number of users still creating their own connected universes.
The site can be visited here.
The Runescape Fan Fiction Wiki contains examples of:
- Aborted Arc: Several, due to the nature of the site. The last Runiverse roleplay, "Voyage Into Apocalypse" ended this way.
- A God Am I: Angeror, as well as several other villains.
- All There in the Manual: The Wiki format allows writers to fill in plot holes just by creating side-pages about their characters.
- Artifact Title: Applied to several of the role-plays. The titular characters in Revenge of the Alone Ones played almost no part in the story, despite being intended to. Voyage Into Apocalypse, which took its name from the previous story, Voyage to the Edge of the World, featured a lot less voyaging.
- Crossover: The main drive behind the Runiverse storyline, with each of the writers overlapping their characters, as well as using characters from other properties such as Doctor Who, Torchwood, and Alien.
- Big Bad: Angeror for the Runiverse, a shapeshifting demon who has been plotting to rule the Universe since it was created.
- Deserted Island: The "ZTI Island", which forms part of the setting for Voyage Into Apocalypse and Island.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Originally the case with characters from the Immortals Storyline, with names like "The Assassin". Eventually averted by the same author when he gave them all full names.
- For Want of a Nail: An admittedly convoluted example creates "Angeror's World", from the Voyage Into Apocalypse aborted arc.
- GenreBusting: Stories based on a game set in a MedievalEuropeanFantasy setting, but which happens to include space-ships, aliens, Magitek cyborgs that run on runes, about five different secret bureaus and a shape-shifting demon as old as time.
- Heroic BSoD: Orion Hellenius for the first few chapters of Island.
- MacGuffin: Countless. In the Runiverse, there are the "Objects of Power", items which could prove incredibly useful but are more or less discarded after they've been collected.
- Magitek: A lot of the sci-fi technology incorporated into the story is said to run on magic, especially anything created by the Zamorackian Technological Institute.
- NotQuiteDead: Everyone, from villains to heroes, often done as a plot twist.
- Really 700 Years Old: All of the Immortals, bar those in Hidden Destinies. The same is true of the various Time Lord characters.
- Retcon: Due to the changing nature of the wiki, and the overlapping of different users' stories, this is incredibly common.
- Society of Immortals: The Immortals, who live on a moon of the main Runescape planet.
- The Exile: A lot of characters in the Immortal Storyline, although it's not often clear why.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Mostly subverted; the Immortal characters don't really seem to mind living forever. Played straight, however, at the epilogue of Island, where Orion advances his own aging so he can die in peace.